In storage for 3 months

Discussion in 'HVAC Heating & Cooling' started by DIY, Sep 18, 2009.

1. DIY

DIY New Member

Hi all. I was not real sure what to put this question under. I found a front load washer and dryer 2 yrs. old,Frigidaire , but it has not been in use for three month. I know it's not good to let things sit. Does anybody know what will most likely happen,or threemonths should not be a problem etc.

thanks to all
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

3 months should not be an issue. People do go on vacations, rental houses and sold houses are vacant for a time. Should not be a problem. You might run a cycle through the washer with some lysol or pinesol, just to freshen it up;
  3. Runs with bison

Runs with bison Member

Agreed. There is a tub clean feature/setting for front loaders, so it would makes sense to do that first. The only major concern I would have is what condition was it stored in? Was it left closed with water in the seal/etc. in a hot environment? The reason I ask this is that the front loaders can be much more sensitive to mildew odors if not properly handled after a load. Leaving the door open, wiping the door gasket, etc. has worked well with mine in a basement utility space.

On the other hand, I had an old top loader take on a very musty odor after a finished load of laundry was inadvertently left in it for two days in a hot & humid environment (outdoor utililty space, midsummer, Deep South.) It took about 6 months, several treatments with mildewcide, and some disassembly (to get to the tub and scrub the waterline) to remove the scent.
  4. Cass

Cass Plumber

Why did someone get rid of a 2 year old front load...What brand is it...
  5. DIY

DIY New Member

Cass that was one of my first questions I asked him. He said i am moving into a place that already has a washer/dryer in It.hmmmmm do i believe that....remmains to be seen.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

W/d

If I were moving into a place that had a washer and dryer, but I had a "new" front loader, I would probably sell the one in the unit, unless it was a better model. Storage in a hot closed area can cause deterioration of rubber seals, although that time period might be too short for it to happen.