In storage for 3 months

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY

Reaction score
Hi all. I was not real sure what to put this question under. I found a front load washer and dryer 2 yrs. old,Frigidaire , but it has not been in use for three month. I know it's not good to let things sit. Does anybody know what will most likely happen,or threemonths should not be a problem etc.

thanks to all

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
3 months should not be an issue. People do go on vacations, rental houses and sold houses are vacant for a time. Should not be a problem. You might run a cycle through the washer with some lysol or pinesol, just to freshen it up;

Reaction score
Agreed. There is a tub clean feature/setting for front loaders, so it would makes sense to do that first. The only major concern I would have is what condition was it stored in? Was it left closed with water in the seal/etc. in a hot environment? The reason I ask this is that the front loaders can be much more sensitive to mildew odors if not properly handled after a load. Leaving the door open, wiping the door gasket, etc. has worked well with mine in a basement utility space.

On the other hand, I had an old top loader take on a very musty odor after a finished load of laundry was inadvertently left in it for two days in a hot & humid environment (outdoor utililty space, midsummer, Deep South.) It took about 6 months, several treatments with mildewcide, and some disassembly (to get to the tub and scrub the waterline) to remove the scent.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Why did someone get rid of a 2 year old front load...What brand is it...

DIY

Reaction score
Cass that was one of my first questions I asked him. He said i am moving into a place that already has a washer/dryer in It.hmmmmm do i believe that....remmains to be seen.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
W/d

If I were moving into a place that had a washer and dryer, but I had a "new" front loader, I would probably sell the one in the unit, unless it was a better model. Storage in a hot closed area can cause deterioration of rubber seals, although that time period might be too short for it to happen.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks