In line water softeners - are the even worthwhile ?

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by theboneman21, Jul 31, 2013.

1. theboneman21

theboneman21 New Member

Hey gang.

After asking multiple questions I am getting the sense that perhaps the time might be drawing near to getting a new softener. I have a Culligan Mark 89.

My question is, are inline softeners any good ? I think I would prefer something like that than a giant cylinder and brine tank, but I will let you experts weigh in.
  2. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

Inline ?

If you are talking about the ones that you get something for nothing, then save your money.

They are all inline with the water supply.

Are you talking about the ones that clamp on your water Pipe ?

Good Luck.
  3. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

Wrap a wire around the pipe? Really? Magnet clamp? Beotron cell, lol...

The only one that we have had any luck with in our testing have been some of the "catalytic" conditioners, but we also found the ones that worked were putting in some heavy metals to the water including chromium... probably not a good idea. Some anti-scale systems have also shown some promise, but not consistently enough. We manufacture or distribute every alternative technology to traditional softeners. If you dont want softened water and you can deal with the scale build up, a few simple tricks can help you get along with hard water. A SP# anti-scale tank and a carbon tank, Rain-X on the shower doors and faucets once a month, and a little Lemi-Shine in the dishwasher, and most people are happy with their water, not as good as true soft water, but great if you have gotten to the point where ou dont want to deal with salt bags anymore.

A modern system that is properly set up can also use a lot less salt than your current system.
  4. theboneman21

theboneman21 New Member

5. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

The ones you show work fine for their intended use. Other than swap out media filters though, if you need soft water you need ion exchange.
  6. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

We never recommend BB carbon filters for whole house applications. We sell tons of them, but they do not work well for a multitude of reasons. Their capacity is simply too small.
  7. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

That is a bit to pay for a HD play toy.

You should save your money and buy something that will work to soften water, If soft water is what you want.

That unit is not worth the asking price.