In-Line Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

RP_Stitt

Reaction score
I am remodeling a kitchen in my one story home. I currently have a 1 1/2" secondary vent pipe comming up out of a utility wall behind the sink/dishwasher area, then up through the roof. I would like to position a window above the utility wall. My using an in-line vent was suggested as a means of shortening the existing vent pipe. My question is, will the plumbing work alright if I cut the vent pipe and apply an in-line vent at 43" from floor. The tallest drain in the house is a washing machine drain that is 38" off the floor down-stream in the system. The in-line vent would be enclosed inside the utility wall, which I realize would be a problem if it overflowed. The washing machine does cause a temporary back-up into the kitchen sink on initial drain surge, which I would also like to prevent. The hight of the water level due to this back-up is never greater than 2" inside the sink, making it about 31" off the floor. Your comments and/or suggestions please.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Current code for a washing machine is 2" as is the kitchen sink. If you have a backup, it could be a clog or inadequate piping. Depending on how much is being changed, you might want to consider bringing things up to current code (and you may have to depending on permits and the local inspector).

An AAV might work but I don't know enough to say for sure...there are other ways to do it without one and still have your window where you want it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Why not do a little more work and offset the vent around the window. Then you do not have to worry about the AAV malfunctioning, or getting to it WHEN it does.

Cal

In the Trades
Reaction score
1- 1/2" Kitchen line is FINE . you do NOT have to have 2" . you could use an in line vent. you could use it under your kitchen sink .

However , it might be better to just ( as was previously mentioned) re-route the vent around the window . No Fuss / No worries

Cal

RP_Stitt

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Re-routing probably the better solution since I'm worried about AAV failure inside utility wall where I can not see it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks