In-line screen filters

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by dx, Dec 2, 2008.

1. dx

dx General Contractor

Does anyone sell a simple in-line washer-type screen that can be installed under a sink, between the shutoff and the hose going to a faucet? And quickly taken apart for rinsing.

I've run into a few kitchen faucets lately that got clogged with various small debris and needed to be taken apart and cleaned. They all have a screen in the pullout hose end, but that's AFTER the faucet cartridge so it doesn't prevent the cartridge from getting clogged.
  2. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Debris like this?

[​IMG]
  3. dx

dx General Contractor

No, much smaller particles typically, but varies from one case to another. Some of it looks like typical small sediment debris from the water heater, some doesn't.

I'm just looking for a general solution. Seems to me putting the screen after the cartridge is... well, kinda useless.
  4. Gary Slusser

Gary Slusser That's all folks!

I've never heard of anything like that, water filters will do it though.

Sediment out of a water heater is usually caused by hard water scale formation in the heater. If you have hard water, 3-4 gpg or more, you need a water softener and that will stop the sediment problem while making the heater last much longer and you'll save a bunch of money because there won't be any scale to heat first. Among other savings.
  5. dx

dx General Contractor

Yes Gary, I understand all that. Hard water is just one of many causes. In my area it's actually rare to have hard water. What I'm simply saying is that putting the screen in a faucet assembly AFTER the cartridge is (in my opinion) a poor idea. They should be in the inlet lines like they are on a washing machine.

I'd like to be able to add screens in the lines BEFORE the cartridge. Separate and aside from any other repairs and/or remedies which vary from customer to customer. It takes a lot less time to clean screens than to take a faucet apart and clean it.
  6. Gary Slusser

I didn't mean to upset you... If your area doesn't have hard water, 3-4 gpg or more, then you'll have low TDS and low pH acidic water and the problems it causes.

How hard is your water? Two or more gpg is enough to cause your problem. And as you may see, what you want probably doesn't exist and you'll have to invent it.

What are the other causes of "sediment" getting out of a water heater to hot water using appliances? And how do they get up to the top of the tank to get out of it?
  7. dx

dx General Contractor

Gary, I'm not in the least upset. Not sure how I gave that impression.

My point was simply that I'm not trying to fix the causes of crud in this thread. In some cases it's water heaters on their last legs putting out sediment. In other cases it's previous plumbing work by others where lines were not properly flushed. In yet other cases we simply can't tell by looking just what exactly the particles are and where they come from. We find them occasionally on both hot and cold sides. We deal with the causes on a case-by-case basis as appropriate and if the client is willing to pay for it.

I was hoping that someone knows of a clever way to put a screen between the shutoff and faucet hose. It would not solve the causes, but, like the screen in the pullout hose, would keep crud from getting where you don't want it. And would be a better place than the pullout hose.

Apparently there is no such device. Perhaps it's time to invent a simple transition fitting that can house a screen. Hmmm...
  8. Gary Slusser

Sorry, I mistakenly thought a homeowner was asking the question.
  9. I like this idea. For all the reasons given. It's insurance, security, safeguard...

Also, in highrises pressure is often too high (the building has its own pressure booster). A filter screen would help reduce flow. Every little bit helps.
  10. gardner

gardner DIY Senior Member