In Honolulu Drywall Finishing Of Pocorn Ceilings HELP

Users who are viewing this thread

RomodelHomes

Oahu Handyman
Reaction score
Website
www.oahu-handyman.com
As a Honolulu Hawaii Drywall Finisher - ive stumbled upon some issues in a condo - the ceiling has popcorn on it... over 1200 sq ft total - with wood flooring......

my question today here is the condo in Alamoana - was built in 1979 - I herd it might be asbestos? Since building mngt makes a huge deal over this issue -----> who knows if popcorn is always asbestos after the yr 1979??? ......

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Pop corn definitely can have asbestos from 1979. I can't go as far as to say "likely" but it might. You have to have it tested.

The city here requires any "popcorn" in excess of 500 square feet to be tested before you touch it.

RomodelHomes

Oahu Handyman
Reaction score
Website
www.oahu-handyman.com
Pop corn definitely can have asbestos from 1979. I can't go as far as to say "likely" but it might. You have to have it tested.

The city here requires any "popcorn" in excess of 500 square feet to be tested before you touch it.

In Hawaii testing is used as well - im more concerned about the contamination that gets outside the condo -

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When popcorn ceilings are taken down, you normally put bisqueen down, and spray the ceiling until it turns wet, this cuts down the dust. Then you can scrape the wet mud off and put it in plastic bags. There's a bit more to it then that though.
Test, set up your demo and removal, dispose.
Now we have to be Lead Certified too, and anything 1978 and older is of special concern.

I'll be in Honolulu in December. Not to do any work though.

RomodelHomes

Oahu Handyman
Reaction score
Website
www.oahu-handyman.com
When popcorn ceilings are taken down, you normally put bisqueen down, and spray the ceiling until it turns wet, this cuts down the dust. Then you can scrape the wet mud off and put it in plastic bags. There's a bit more to it then that though.
Test, set up your demo and removal, dispose.
Now we have to be Lead Certified too, and anything 1978 and older is of special concern.

I'll be in Honolulu in December. Not to do any work though.
Aha Terry - very informative and direct info - Thats very helpful tip as well - most condos in Waikiki are oldies but goodies - an im tired of hearing the complaints about the condo building being rusty and old.... their for owners can only renovate the inside - popcorn lid removal is the beginning of every single renovation - ---- Bagged and cared for - I always tape off every single place where dust can leak out - hazmat or not - its about scraping it off on roslin paper and scooping it in bags no doubt ...... as the preparation goes on - I smooth coat the lids/ceilings entirely - most condo owners like smooth coat finishing - I call it puddy coating," concrete is quite stubborn to smooth over ... In due time - the and result is always blessed with the best primers and paint supplies from Glidden - see yah in the sun.... admin

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks