In Honolulu Drywall Finishing Of Pocorn Ceilings HELP

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by RomodelHomes, Oct 6, 2010.

1. RomodelHomes

RomodelHomes Oahu Handyman

As a Honolulu Hawaii Drywall Finisher - ive stumbled upon some issues in a condo - the ceiling has popcorn on it... over 1200 sq ft total - with wood flooring......

my question today here is the condo in Alamoana - was built in 1979 - I herd it might be asbestos? Since building mngt makes a huge deal over this issue -----> who knows if popcorn is always asbestos after the yr 1979??? ......
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Pop corn definitely can have asbestos from 1979. I can't go as far as to say "likely" but it might. You have to have it tested.

The city here requires any "popcorn" in excess of 500 square feet to be tested before you touch it.
  3. RomodelHomes

In Hawaii testing is used as well - im more concerned about the contamination that gets outside the condo -
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

When popcorn ceilings are taken down, you normally put bisqueen down, and spray the ceiling until it turns wet, this cuts down the dust. Then you can scrape the wet mud off and put it in plastic bags. There's a bit more to it then that though.
    Test, set up your demo and removal, dispose.
    Now we have to be Lead Certified too, and anything 1978 and older is of special concern.

I'll be in Honolulu in December. Not to do any work though.
  5. RomodelHomes

Aha Terry - very informative and direct info - Thats very helpful tip as well - most condos in Waikiki are oldies but goodies - an im tired of hearing the complaints about the condo building being rusty and old.... their for owners can only renovate the inside - popcorn lid removal is the beginning of every single renovation - ---- Bagged and cared for - I always tape off every single place where dust can leak out - hazmat or not - its about scraping it off on roslin paper and scooping it in bags no doubt ...... as the preparation goes on - I smooth coat the lids/ceilings entirely - most condo owners like smooth coat finishing - I call it puddy coating," concrete is quite stubborn to smooth over ... In due time - the and result is always blessed with the best primers and paint supplies from Glidden - see yah in the sun.... admin