Improve bathroom exhaust

Users who are viewing this thread

savvygl

Reaction score
Hello. First post, but I have referred this forum many times before.

I renovated my bathroom last year and had a handyman friend do a large portion of the work, including installing my new Broan exhaust fan. Recently (due to the problem I will get to in a moment) I was assessing the exhaust fan in the attic above and realized that he did not vent out of the attic. Uninsulated 3 inch flexible tubing is stretched to the soffit, but not vented through the soffit. I asked him about it and he said that in our climate (central South Carolina) venting out of the house is not necessary. I think otherwise and plan to have the bathroom exhaust vented through the roof once I figure out what to do about the fan unit. Plenty of room to work and a short run straight up and through the roof. No problems I can foresee there.

My biggest problem now is the fact that the exhaust fan hardly seems to move air. Steam accumulates in the room during a warm shower, condensation builds on the wall, and water drips from the fan grill. The exhaust fan in place is one of the less expensive 80 cfm Broan units I bought from a big box store. Maybe I got a bad unit or maybe the model is rather ineffective (I have read other negative reviews), but either way, I need to fix this situation. I will just consider the Broan unit currently in place a loss. I am curious what I can do to improve this situation without replacing the entire unit. I do not want to tear out the housing and deal with cutting the ceiling and installing a new unit (if I can avoid it). Could I simply replace the current motor with a motor with a higher cfm rating? Is an in line unit the way to go? This is the only bathroom in my bungalow. I am looking for the most cost-effect solution.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, figure the volume of the room (lxwxh) in feet to get the total CU FT. Then, see how many times/hour your fan will exchange the air. 8-10x exchanges an hour is not unheard of. Also, keep in mind that in order to push air out, some has to come in. In a really tight house, you won't get much out. Doing so would create a vacuum, which a small fan just can't do.

One system I really like, and have in my home, is a Solatube tubular skylight with the fan option www.solatube.com . It lets a huge amount of light into the room without the UV or heat of a typical window, and the fan is a decent size as well. It's been years, and I still reach for the light switch sometimes...

savvygl

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Jadnashua. This is a pretty small bathroom (approx. 8' x 6' with 8' ceilings) and an 80 cfm fan should easily remove steam. I don't think the unit I have is actually "living up" to it's claimed ventilation capacity. After some research I am leaning toward buying an inline retrofit kit such as this one from fantech http://www.bathroomfanexperts.com/product.php?p=fantech_bfrk100&product=111111

That Solatube skylight system looks great and I will keep it in mind as a possibility in future projects, but for this project I am interested in a solution that will not require removing the fan housing or making any other holes in the ceiling.

Thanks again.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I put my Solatube in place of the previous fan...no new holes there in the ceiling, anyway.

Radon Contractor and Water Treatment
Reaction score
Website
www.78radon.com
Several things:
First, I would use a 4" line because there is less pressure drop.
Second, make sure you have enough gap under the door to allow sufficient air flow while the door is closed.
Third, I don't know how old your system is but you need to clean the fan (I have a squirrel gage) yearly to remove dead skin(it's true) and lint.
Lastly, an inline fan by fantech is a much better choice if you are going through the trouble of changing it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks