Improper rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Jose06

Reaction score
Based on some research, I know that this rough in was installed the wrong way. The "plumber" claims he does this the same way with no problems all of the time. This in the basement and I'm installing a walk in shower with 42'' linear drain. Thats the 2", pipe to the rear. I was told, to correct this mess; I need to install a 4 x 2 wye rolled up to the toilet, branch the the 2" line to the shower drain with another 2 x 2 wye rolled up. Then, I would need to connect to the 2 in vertical pipe. Oh, the sanitary tee running horizontal is installed incorrect too. My question is, how do I navigate through the 1-1/2 in drain coming from the attic connecting to that 4" vertical line ? There are 2 vents going through the roof on that side of the house, so I'm assuming one is the 2" and the other is the 4". I'm kinda stump on that part. The horizontal line towards the left is from a washer, which I believe is too far at, 20 ft and there is a sink that will connect on that line as well. I'm assuming I would use a wye to connect the washer so it drops into a trap, not pictured and the kitchen sink will tie in with a wye, that will use that 2" line as a vent and drain. I know this is a long post, but I tried to be descriptive as possible. Thanks guys.
Oh, I almost forgot, I want to move the vanity to sit next to the toilet and have no clue how to vent that. Im thinking, do I run a vertical line with a san tee up to the joist and connect at that 2" line.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
First, take a look at this.

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

For starters, no santees on the horizontal. Those should have been wye fittings.

Wet venting is only for bathroom fixtures on the same floor.

A washer or a kitchen sink is not considered bathroom fixtures. Those can't wet vent over bathroom fixtures.
Kitchen sinks and washers come in downstream. (lower)

A lav, shower or tub can wet vent a toilet.

Fixtures from a floor above come in downstream too. (lower)

Last edited:

Jose06

Reaction score
Yes sir, I've looked at the pdf. Now I know the correct placement for fittings. Wished I knew this last month. My only issue is how do I navigate around that 4" vertical stack to connect to the 2" vertical, and how high up do I go.
Thanks. Forums are a huge help

Jose06

Reaction score
Did I do this right. I haven't glued anything as yet

2016-09-15 20.56.44.jpg
2016-09-15 20.53.07.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
You are getting closer. A dry vent cannot run horizontally below the flood rim of the fixtures.

I can't tell where you plan to place the vanity, but that needs the drain going into a wall, with it's vent going up.
It is common to wet vent a toilet through the vent for the vanity.

Jose06

Reaction score
The vanity is towards the left with a 60 deg elbow on it. That runs into the toilet before the shower. The shower has a linear drain and I'm a little low on slab height with the wye being flat. it it has to rotate, could it be above the center line. I'm a kinda stumped now, thought I had it

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A fixture vent must be vertical until it is at least 6" above the flood rim or a 42" above the floor, whichever is higher. Vertical means pitched not lower than 45 degrees.

Jose06

Reaction score
A fixture vent must be vertical until it is at least 6" above the flood rim or a 42" above the floor, whichever is higher. Vertical means pitched not lower than 45 degrees.

Thanks for the reply. The 4 x 2 is rolled to 45. the vanity runs down a 90 into the 4 x 2. The branch from the shower, which is to the rear is what i have in question though. Is there anything else I should do ?
Thanks

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Every fixture must be vented. The section of vent that is not vertical below the flood rim of the highest fixture will not work and would fail any inspection. It is normal for a shower or water closet drain to be purposely routed under a wall, at which point the vent riser is piped vertically into the wall and up. If you are going to wet vent, it would normally be done through the lav, which is a problem if you run the main line between the lav and the other fixtures.

Last edited:

Jose06

Reaction score
I'm really trying to follow, so I can finish this up. The law is going to the 4 x 2 tee which is rolled passed half. The shower is feeding in to the lab drain and continues to the 4 x 2. Is this correct so far?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I feel like i am missing a photo here. :) The only 4x4x2 sanitary tee I see is on the back wall at the bottom of the original c.i. stack. This appears to be above the floor level, so I cant see how a shower would connect there.

In photo 3, there appears to be a shower trap and riser with a relatively flat dry vent going back to the wall.

Jose06

Reaction score
Thank you. You guys are wonderful. The WC, is connected to the main with a 4 x 4 x 2, The lav feeds into that, with the shower following from the rear of the wall, which is currently attached to the 2 in vertical. How I am interpreting your advice, is that the lav has to be connected to the 2 in riser some how to vent everything. Is my assumption correct ?

Jose06

Reaction score

Something along the lines of this and run the 2 in to the vertical up and across the joist towards the wall

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Right... the riser for the lav then must continue up through the roof or tie into the stack above the highest fixture served by the stack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks