Imploding water heater?

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Dilbert, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Got time to watch a video on exploding water heaters?
    If it were my home, and my family, I would disconnect the water heater and get it out of my home.

Just a little North of Kirkland. I like to use Rheem and Bradford White water heaters.
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  2. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

Anyone get the feeling that all this is going in one ear and out the other¿
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I thought the tops of water heaters were made concave....in other words dished in looking from the top. So it must have take some serious force to FURTHER dish it in to move the nipples like that. I have seen pictures of tanks which were over-pressured, and the nipples tilt outward.

I completely agree that the integrity of the top of that tank is seriously compromised, and should be taken out of service immediately.
  4. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Yup!

It's just passing through without even being processed!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  5. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

Umm, as I said in the first post, I'm not a plumber, just a guy with a lot of tools who is a little too fearless.

What is a T&P valve? I guess just asking that question means I'm in trouble.

Yet another shining example of the reasons why plumbing and gas fitting require experiance and a license
  6. Cass

Cass Plumber

I have one of these tanks in my garage and will take pics of it as I strip away the sheet metal and expose the tank so we can see exactly what happened...
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heater

The glass lining cannot stretch so when the steel tank "bulged" the glass lining was ruined.
  8. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

Water heater pressure bulge

Repeat the glass ling is the least of your problems ! ! !

Poisoning your family with carbon monoxide is the most important thing that should be on your mind right now,

your bottom head of the tank has reversed onto the burner
    look at the top of the vent where it go's out the top see that
    the flue has dropped down into the top of jacket,
    the only reason this is not more noticeable is because of the ridgid copper pipe other wise his nipples would point at each other like a tepee
    i will look on water heater mfg's websites to see if i can copy and paste a picture of what i am try to tell you ! !
  9. kingsotall

kingsotall Plunger/TurdPuncher

lol @ pic!
    I see now why nhmaster made this quote:
  10. I'm going to use this thread as a reference for future use in regards to showing how something simple as a homeowner replacing water lines can lead to impending disaster in such a short period of time.

Just because Bob Vila does it doesn't mean you can.

"Oh but I can't afford a plumber"
    "Oh, we're on a budget"
    "Well we just bought a bass boat, sorry, I'll do it myself"
    "Well, I'll have to get back to you after I talk to my wife"
    "If I supply the material, how much will it cost?"
  11. frenchie

frenchie Jack of all trades

12. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

13. Ladiesman271

Ladiesman271 Homeowner

It would not collapse if you use a vacuum relief valve on the cover. That water heater has one installed on it, but is it any good?

I wonder how old that heater is anyhow? Even to my DIYers eyes that water heater is now toast!
  14. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

It really is a moot point whether it was vacuum or, pressure...
    The water heater is scrap!
  15. tankman 2

tankman 2 New Member

For what it is worth, the expansion tank pictured looks to be one designed for a hydronic system. Not sure if it is connected to the water heater or not. If it is a hudronic tank it will not last long on a potable water system like this one.
    btw
    I agree. Change the water heater and have a professional do it!
  16. nhmaster

nhmaster Master Plumber

The expansion tank in the picture is connected to the boiler, not the water heater.
  17. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

heater

Definitely. The glass liner is not flexible so any movement of the metal would crack it. But since even a new heater might not have a perfect glass lining, that is why heaters have anode rods. One thing not mentioned in all the posting, unless I missed it while scanning them, is that it is almost impossible to create a destructive negative presssure with the heater in the basement, and even if it were possible, you have a vacuum relief valve to prevent it.
  18. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

19. Scuba_Dave

Scuba_Dave Extreme DIY Homeowner

I wasn't aware an expansion tank was needed on a WH?
    My last house had gas WH & it didn't have one. But that doesn't really mean anything as I found a lot of problems with my old house. I have seen them on boilers, but never one on a WH connection. New house was an oil fired WH & was replaced with an electric model when the oil fired started leaking & the bottom let loose. I know a new pressure relief valve was installed, as the old one was leaking

I saw the exploding Wh video on another site maybe 2 months ago
    I was unaware that something like that could happen
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009