I'm Starting To Get My Softener Replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I will check it with my hach test.
Good.
also, having put the extra 9 gallons into the brine tank, it put the float about 4-5" below the water level.
I was wondering about that. What I don't know is if you need to push the float down. I would like to think that the float valve would pass water out even if the float is up, but I don't know. Weighing down the float will work for this purpose, whether it is necessary or not. It would be good to hear from somebody who knows.

Also monitor your salt use as a sanity check. If you use 6 lbs of salt per cubic ft, each regen will consume 18 pounds of salt each regen. That is almost half of a 40 pound bag. So keep a log. If you are not getting the expected softening, one possibility is something is keeping the refill smaller than it should be. How often does your system regenerate?

Keep some salt above the water line. If monitoring salt use, and you want to keep the salt level down for easy monitoring of change, you can tilt the salt fill.

I think you are using your softener to deal with your 0.54 mg/L of iron in addition to softening. Ideally you would have used a smaller system that regenerates more often. If you make changes, rather than increasing BF, I would be thinking of raising H as needed to get the softness down to 1 grain or less.

Last edited:

DownTheWell

Reaction score
just as a follow up because I hate when people don't put the resolutions to their problems on forums - Part of the problem I think I was having with my softener was the feet that came with it for the plastic screen in the brine tank. On the one I ordered, it came with cones as feet but, they kept that screen way above the water.
So, it helped a lot by taking the bottom feet off so that the actual bottom of the screen was below the water level. The upper feet are in gray and the lower feet are white in my paint picture.
You can laugh if you want.
Now I think I will go back to the original settings you all suggested and then just watch it over a month or so.
Thanks for helping me.

Attachments

• Brine tank.jpg
    Brine tank.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks