I'm so new at this it hurts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Shylo

Reaction score
Terry and to all those who have posted advice and questions on here I would first like to thank you as I now have a bit of understanding about pumps and wells...

However...

-I just bought a residential house which had a coal chute and a water well pipe going down in the chute area.

- I was interested in pumping water out of the well and using it strictly for watering the garden, grass and trees. (not as a source for water for personal consumption)

- the end of the pipe to the well is almost 2 1/2 feet below the grade of the ground in the chute which I chose to fill in with 3/4 down limestone for the time being. (basically the well is directly below the sidewalk I used to get to my back door between the house and garage)

- I live in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada, where the temperatures drop to -30 Celcius (-22F) and can get as high as +30 Celcius (86 F)

(I think that's all the information.. now for my questions)

1) What would I need to pump the water from the well... so that I could use it with my standard garden hose? (aside from the pump and garden hose) Do I need any other electrical "shut off switches" or a control box or a reserve tank of any sort?

2) Would a submersible pump or a ground pump be better/easier to winterize. (The well does go down below the frost line)

3) If I use a ground pump, would it be hard (or even possible in some way) for me to move the pump and pump out water from other sources like rain barrels located around the house.

4) Since the well pipe is directly under the sidewalk and below grade would it be possible or affect anything if I put PVC (or some plastic) pipe over the opening with some 45 to move the opening over a few feet, so the opening for the wires or the pump is closer to my house wall.

Thank you for your time and any help you can provide

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks