I'm replacing GE Gas Water Heaters that have failed. Why?

Discussion in 'Water Heater Forum, Tanks' started by Terry, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I'm replacing GE Gas Water Heaters that have failed. Why?
    I've replaced three recently that were not very old at all. The last one was five years and two months. Manufactured 2008/9
    The two others were about this age too. I thought it was strange when I changed the first one, but now I've done three, and all very young tanks.
    I used to tanks last 15 to 20 years. Not 5+ years.
    This one had an expansion tank, so that wasn't the issue.

[​IMG]

GE Gas water heater from September 2008.
  2. dj2

dj2 Member

Last year I had a GE with the following symptom:

The pilot lead, which is routed around the burner unit (dumb), got so hot that it failed, turned into gray dust, developed a hole that caused the pilot light to go off. Gas was leaking from the hole, creating a dangerous situation.
    GE sent a replacement burner assembly, but I stopped installing GE-Rheem heaters. Since then, I've been installing BW, Smith and American.

The problem with water heaters now a day is that you can get a lemon from any of the above manufacturers.
  3. DonL

DonL Jack of all trades Master of one

So the tanks are leaking ?

With all of the new regulation of material that can be used, You pay a big price for safety.

Longevity is yet to be seen.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

November 20th 2013
    Replaced this 10 year old GE water heater.

[​IMG]

Well..........it made it past 9 years at least.

Replaced with a Rheem Gas tank

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

An old Seattle home. The ceiling above the water heater was pretty much gone.
    New drywall and a collar for the vent.