I'm moving my toilet to the right by a couple feet and have to cut ...

Users who are viewing this thread

trinitony

Reaction score
where the white pipe meets the grey in order to make the bend. Once is cut, is there a tool or method used to remove the excess pipe that's left on the inside?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3798.JPG
    IMG_3798.JPG
    46.5 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_3794.JPG
    IMG_3794.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 894
  • IMG_3806.JPG
    IMG_3806.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 651

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is that a mix of pvc and abs piping? Generally, that is not good. There is a transition cement, but it is not approved for use everywhere, and it is much preferred to pick one type and stay with it. Maybe there should be some more dissassembly and rework done?

Nukeman

Nuclear Engineer
Reaction score
Jim: The dark grey stuff appears to be PVC. You can see the printing on the 1st pic (PVC DWV SCH 40).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think Jim is right. They gray stuff is PVC conduit, but the black elbow sure looks like ABS.

trinitony

Reaction score
Since then I've gotten several other suggestions....
1)
googled and found....
http://www.askme********.com/plumbin...pe-233272.html
2)
do a " Rube Goldberg" which would be to get a Rubber Fernco Fitting that would slide over the existing fitting hub and than just " make" into that new rubber fitting.

3)
got another answer from a buddy...he said use a coarse new hacksaw blade, and remove a small chunk on the top, and on the bottom. Then use a flat screwdriver and hammer, and gently tap remaining pipet out. Said it should take but a couple minutes....

I think I'll try the hand held hacksaw blade method, and if that fails I'll source the bit mentioned earlier.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you choose to chip it out, I normally make the two cuts about an inch a part, and then use a flat screw driver flat to seperate the pipe from the hub, just work your way around the hub. Or if you have the Ram Bit handy, that works too. hj sometimes mentions putting a hoseclamp around the hub to keep it from breaking out when using the screwdriver method.

Last edited:

trinitony

Reaction score
If you choose to chip it out, I normally make the two cuts about an inch a part, and then use a flat screw screw driver flat to seperate the pipe from the hub, just work your way around the hub. Or if you have the Ram Bit handy, that works too. hj sometimes mentions putting a hoseclamp around the hub to keep it from breaking out when using the screwdriver method.

Thanks for the hoseclamp tip, it makes a lot of sense. Maybe I should post my entire project on here - this site is certainly a wealth of information. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I heat the tip of a screwdriver and melt a slot in the side of the pipe up to the inside of the fitting. Then I tighten a hose clamp around the fitting's hub. Finally, I use a sharp screwdriver and hammer to "peel" the pipe out, starting at the slot I made.

trinitony

Reaction score
another question for you guys...

I was showing this photo to a friend of mine and he was saying there is no way I would be able to turn the toilet with fittings from HD. He recommends I cut the stack and replace with new one pointed in the direction of the new toilet. It will be less work etc, just drywall repair .lol..like I don't have enough work already. So before I cut-n-replace, do you guys think it's possible using connections?

Thanks!

Attachments

• newtoilet.jpg
    newtoilet.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 557

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If you have a 2x10 floor joist, you will have to leave 2" on the bottom and 2" on the top.
You may also want to consider running the line for the toilet below the floor joist and boxing the ceiling.
Id you move the toilet using fittings, it would be a 90 and a 45 to make up the 135 degree of change needed.

Or you can replace the plumbing and come up in the same joist location as the new toilet.

trinitony

Reaction score
If you have a 2x10 floor joist, you will have to leave 2" on the bottom and 2" on the top.
You may also want to consider running the line for the toilet below the floor joist and boxing the ceiling.
Id you move the toilet using fittings, it would be a 90 and a 45 to make up the 135 degree of change needed.

Or you can replace the plumbing and come up in the same joist location as the new toilet.

Terry boxing in is not an option as my family room (center) is directly below it.

I would source out a 90 and 45 and do a dry run. Let's say I was able to turn it? would the turn restrict flow in anyway?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can have 135 degree of change.
It's a 3" line for just a few feet before it drops.

I'm more concerned with the integrity of your structure.
You could also open up the wall below and move the pipe in-line with what you have above, "maybe".
You can't notch the bottom of a floor joist. The floor will collapse.

trinitony

Reaction score

You could also open up the wall below and move the pipe in-line with what you have above, "maybe".

The house exterior is all brick. As far as the support walls, they're not in the immediate vicinity. Ok, so I won't notch the bottom of the joist, I will do the turns as you suggested. I do believe the joist are thick enough to allow the minimum 2" required. I could move the pipe in-line over (if the turns don't work), but it's a lot of work, since I will have to turn it back left to meet the continuined pipe that leads to a basement which I finished not too long ago.

trinitony

Reaction score
Update with pics...

Dry run pics using a 45 & 90

Attachments

• NEWPLUMBING.jpg
    NEWPLUMBING.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 286

trinitony

Reaction score

^^^ Going in from below tomorrow, started from on top tonight then said to myself, you know it's much easier to fix drywall than to cut through joist while trying to line things up.;) I'm taking your advice.lol..

trinitony

Reaction score
finally moved...

bought all different angles so won't have to be running back to the store...

Attachments

• mini-IMG_4226.JPG
    mini-IMG_4226.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 248
  • mini-IMG_4151.JPG
    mini-IMG_4151.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 254
  • mini-IMG_4147.JPG
    mini-IMG_4147.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 248
  • mini-IMG_4148.JPG
    mini-IMG_4148.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 238
  • mini-IMG_4149.JPG
    mini-IMG_4149.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 226

trinitony

Reaction score
before and after.....

Attachments

• mini-IMG_4152.JPG
    mini-IMG_4152.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 246
  • mini-Copy of IMG_4144.JPG
    mini-Copy of IMG_4144.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 235
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks