Ikea Plumbing.....?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by jlstover2013, Jul 25, 2013.

1. jlstover2013

jlstover2013 New Member

I've found this forum while researching about bathroom plumbing and such. I'm renovating our master bath and first thing that has to go is our vanity!

Long story short I've found a vanity from ikea, that would actually fit. I almost purchased it and then I saw how the plumbing was and stopped there. My main concern is whether or not the plumbing is US standards and that it'll properly function. Give me your thoughts because I have no clue :( 1 Hemnes/Odensvik sink cabinet, 2 Odensvik sink, & 3 Current plumbing! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40193940/ (webpage for sink) Thank-You For Your Help!!!

hemnes-odensvik-sink-cabinet-with--drawers__0144140_PE303499_S4.jpg

odensvik-sink--bowl__0116154_PE270301_S4.jpg

Bath 001.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2013
  2. PeteSC

PeteSC New Member

That should work fine if it'll fit in your space. That flexible line to the left of the drain plumbing appears to be for the sink overflow as it looks like the sink does not have an integrated overflow discharge.
  3. asktom

asktom Member

If you ever need to change that drain assembly, good luck.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It's a basic plumbing componet. There are fittings to install that.
    I prefer a standard tubular p-trap over a solvent weld one, but either will work.
  5. jlstover2013

jlstover2013 New Member

Thankyou for your help! I think I will go ahead and purchase it!!!! :)
  6. jlstover2013

jlstover2013 New Member

What fittings will I need to connect to standard? If its to big of a hassle I would rather just get a different sink. Plus most plumbers around my area have no clue and don't want to do it.
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

All you need is a standar p-trap.

If you can find a plumber that has passed eigth grade English, you will be fine.
    You are finding that most plumbers don't like reading instructions.

[​IMG]

We ran into one of these on a job that had already been started.
    They didn't read the instructions. They had hacked and cut the drawer in the cabinet. The drawers run short, giving you room toward the back to place a p-trap near the wall. Done that way, there is plenty of room without touching or modifying the drawers.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  8. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Funny that you mentioned that, I always read manufacturers instructions whenever the faucet or whatever was something was new to me.:D
  9. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Your biggest problem may be if those are "functioning" drawers and the drain is in the way.
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

info

quote; I always read manufacturers instructions whenever the faucet

These days there is very little "reading". Mostly it is looking at pictures and trying to figure out what it is showing. IF there is reading, you have to figure out which section has it in your language.
  11. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

My concern would be that the drain in the wall might be too high for the new sink, but without taking some measurements.......
  12. mikeplummer

mikeplummer Plumber

I have installed one of these... they come with everything shown in the picture...the drain offsets straight back to the wall then turns vertical into the trap so trap is close to the wall...you'd then turn a 90 on your existing drain and connect the provided 'ikea" trap with a trap adapter....
    it does have functioning drawers with about 3-4 inches from the back of drawer to wall - which is why the PO is offset.

as a professional who prefers to work with quality materials - in one word I would describe this set-up as 'JUNK'.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2013
  13. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Pictures are worth a thousand words!
  14. christoff

christoff New Member

actually i have 2 in my house and the drawers leave about a 4 inch space at the back so it works fine.
  15. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

My concern would be that the sink does not have an integral overflow built into the sink and you are locked into that weird drain contraption available only from Ikea....

Should it no longer be available from Ikea and you need a new one the sink is toast...
  16. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Red, a lot of the newer lavs no longer have an integral overflow. They have decided that the overflow passage is a good place for bacteria to propagate.
  17. asktom

asktom Member

I guess I am out of the loop. Who makes a lav drain that would replace that Ikea? What do they call it? I'm not trying to be a smartass (on this occasion), I am really curious.

On another note, I don't see where that plastic tube is any more sanitary than an integral overflow. I can see where it would make the lavs cheaper to manufacture, though.
  18. asktom

asktom Member

Just bumping this up to the top because I really am curious. Who makes a drain assembly to replace that & what is it called?
  19. markore

markore In the Trades

You would have to make it up with a combination of sh40 and/or tubular components. The most critical ones to find are the overflow / drain strainer. The offsets, tee, flexible tailpiece etc are pretty common in tubular.
  20. guy48065

guy48065 New Member

and I'm wondering how you're supposed to mount an actual 1-hole faucet with the overflow fitting in the way.
    :confused: