Ignorant question, business replacing receptacles and switches.

Users who are viewing this thread

jesusq

Reaction score
I want to start providing a service, and I will have to go and replace AC wall receptacles and switches.

Am I going to need a license for this?

I'm not going to re-wire anything or reconfigure anything, I'm just replacing the receptacles and switches.

Would I also need any special permission?

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It strictly depends on your local licensing requirements. Here, you would not need one if the TOTAL work done in the building, by everyone, was less than $1,000.00

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
"Maybe I am missing something, but I think there are people who don't welcome your plan."

Why? you have a handyman who wants to make a living in an honest way. Let him do it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not one of those people. I thought that the document was written to not let people go around and changing out switches and outlets as independent workers.

It looks to me as if he has to work under somebody else for a long time to be permitted to do electrical work, and think changing outlets and switches seems be included in that. Maybe I missed something in that document. " Residential Appliance Installer" classification may be an out, but he is not planning to install appliances.

jesusq

Reaction score
I apologize. I'm no electrician, nor do I want to compete and do any electrical work. I do home entertainment, and I want to start incorporating home automation which means that i have to replace wall switches and outlets.

I don't want to step in anyone's toes, nor do I want to take any risk. I would rather ask and see if I'll be taking a risk by servicing home automation as part of my services.

Again, I'm no electrician, and if I do have to do an electrical work, I would outsource it to a professional. My strength is in home entertainments.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. Any job which is less than the maximum set by the contractor's board (in Ca it's $500, and been that low since Hector was a pup) can be performed without a license.

2. Any homeowner can perform work on his/her home with no money limit. But some jobs are not included (such as a panel upgrade). The homeowner is however not exempt from permits and inspections.

Reach4

Reaction score
Maybe you could be a "Residential Appliance Installation Contractor". A home automation system is close enough to an appliance, I would think. It looks to me like that license would let you do limited electrical work.

I would check Houston locally to see how this works in practice.

Good luck.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Here, the regulating division that determines WHAT needs a license would be the "Registrar of Contractors", but not sure what your area would call him/them.

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
I apologize. I'm no electrician, nor do I want to compete and do any electrical work. I do home entertainment, and I want to start incorporating home automation which means that i have to replace wall switches and outlets.

I don't want to step in anyone's toes, nor do I want to take any risk. I would rather ask and see if I'll be taking a risk by servicing home automation as part of my services.

Again, I'm no electrician, and if I do have to do an electrical work, I would outsource it to a professional. My strength is in home entertainments.
Well, by doing electrical work (replacing devices and implementing home automation) without the proper experience, insurance and licensing, you ARE taking a HUGE risk.

You are greatly down-playing the significance of what it is you intend to do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks