If you won the lottery for mega bucks, would you quit your plumbing job?

• Yes

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Maybe so

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score

1. Yes
2. No
3 Maybe so

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Sure I'd quit!
But the problem is I don't buy lottery tickets.
I used to but one Friday night on the way home I found I had a ticket that was worth a couple of grand....
It was late and my wife was sleeping so I didn't tell her I just tucked it in the console of my truck.
The next morning a friend was picking me up to fish a tournament so I left in the morning and she still didn't know...
While I was fishing she cleaned my truck and threw away the ticket and the trash was picked up that afternoon.

End of the story I was mad about it and I got in the dog house because I was supposed to be thankful that she cleaned my truck and threw away the ticket.

That was the last ticket I ever bought!
I don't need the trouble that the money brings with it!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I always felt if I had more money, I would expand the business.
I love doing what I do.

I've been asked when I will retire, and I told her I had no plans for that.
Not what the woman wanted to hear.
But I love this, and think I could do it indefinitely.
Think about it, it's 4:33AM and I'm typing.

Cookie

Reaction score
Work is essentially such a large part of who I am, I could never retire, I would lose myself in the process. I do so many different things that I rarely ever get bored and I love so much of it.

Terry, years ago, I was getting a port put in, and in the OR, my cell phone starting ringing, the surgeon was a military man and stern; but, he even laughed when I asked him to take a message about the property for sale. I was so out of it, I didn't realize he was talking to my son. The nurses unfortunately, got his wrath for letting me have it in the first place.

I uh, shouldn't admit this, but, while visiting my mom, dad and husband at the cemetary, I also, got a listing from people visiting their family members.

... but, I did hear my husband and dad laughing while I was walking away...

By the way Terry, did you notice the time I wrote this? :)

Last edited:

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would probably quit activly plumbing but I would never not be involved in the trade in one fashon or the other. I believe that those of us that are fortunate enough to be plumbers and have that skill, knowledge, experience and license have an obligation to give back to the trade that gave us so much, and it ain't always about the money. There are not a lot of young guys coming up in any of the trades these days. I thionk it's up to us to beat the drum a bit and steer some of these kids toward a career that is fufilling and relavent.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Is the pope catholic??

But the term "megabucks" is relative. Right now, ronald mcdonald house in San Diego is having a raffle to raise money. Grand prize is a house worth about 1.8M, or 1M cash. Tickets sales are limited to 40,000. Once or twice a year , we go to Barona or Vegas just for kicks, and easily spend a few hundred. SO we decided to by 2 tickets on the house ( $150 each) instead. The odds ( 2 in 40,000) are a LOT better than the odds of winning more than a few bucks on a slot machine! And it is a good cause.

So would I stop working if I win the million ( naturally would take the cash because I couldn't pay the tax on the house!).....no. But if I won $100M, yeah, I would retire to figure out how to give that away!

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I wonder how much a persons age changes their perspective on this issue. Things I may have wanted to buy or do 30 years ago now seem kind of silly.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Bought a bunch of toys and crap that I would have needed like a hole in the head. I think if I won it now I would probably give a million or so to all my friends and close family and some charities that I believe in.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
All I would do is plumbing. With electrical and remodelling, it's my hobby.

I can never understand why people would have the cheek to charge to do it.

You want me to pay you to solder a pipe?

We have an annual subscription for the lottery. Two tickets a week for both draws. Just in case.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; I can never understand why people would have the cheek to charge to do it. You want me to pay you to solder a pipe?

Of course not, just call me so I can drive my $40,000 truck to your house, take time I could be charging OTHER people to do it, and then solder your pipe together. Oh, and since you like to do things for free, come over to my house and I will find something for YOU to do, although I have few things in need of repair you could paint the barn, work the horses, mow the grass, stuff like that. You would have a BALL doing it, and I would not charge you a dime. I'll bet you also think General Motors is in business so they can make cars. Sorry, Bucko, they are in the business to make MONEY, and producing cars is one way for them to do it.

Cookie

Reaction score
I would still buy toys, games, etc., I like board games.
Soldering is fun something I learned at a very early age from my dad.

I would open up a shelter for animals out of my winnings.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Bought a bunch of toys and crap that I would have needed like a hole in the head. I think if I won it now I would probably give a million or so to all my friends and close family and some charities that I believe in.

I'll be your friend. :)

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Oh, and since you like to do things for free, come over to my house and I will find something for YOU to do, although I have few things in need of repair you could paint the barn, work the horses, mow the grass, stuff like that.

How does this weekend suit you?

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
The lottery is the poor man's tax but if I did win BIG $ I would never touch a pipe wrench again.

I love what I do but I love what I do because I'm good at it and I can make good $ doing it. However if I have $10,000,000 in the bank I certainly wouldn't be crawling around some spider infested crawl space just to make a few hundred bucks.

Maybe I'd try my hand as a venture capitalist.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks