If I remove valve from pipe can I put it back together again ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bob L

Reaction score
Attached is a photo from the inside of a bathroom vanity cabinet, showing a copper pipe and an attached valve.

I want to remove the valve from the copper pipe, leaving just the bare copper pipe. There is a nut on the copper pipe that joins the copper pipe to the valve. Am I right in thinking that between the valve and the nut there is some kind of compression seal that fits over the pipe so that when the nut is tightened, the seal is compressed and prevents leaking ?

So to achieve a bare copper pipe I would then unscrew the nut, pull the valve off, pull the nut (and compression washer) off the copper pipe.

And to put it back together I would simply reverse the steps. So I would not have to do any soldering.

Will greatly appreciate confirmation (or denial) that this is a correct understanding.

Attachments

• Vanity taps-B.jpg
    Vanity taps-B.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 218

Bob L

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info, Terry, and for the bit about the sleeve puller. I assume I should probably replace the seal ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally use a new sleeve (ferrule) when reinstalling.

Or to be more accurate, an entire new shutoff.
I don't like using old parts.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks