If I needed to repair my Fleck 7000 SXT, which has a plastic bypass on the valve...

Discussion in 'Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and r' started by amateurplumber1, Jun 8, 2014.

1. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

Would I need to remove the bypass or could I keep it on? I have a bypass in the line already but also have the bypass on the valve itself. Theoretically, if I needed to fix the valve, would I have to remove the plastic valve mounted bypass (despite having a bypass on my plumbing already)?
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

You could keep it on.
  3. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

So i just take off the bypass, keep it attached to the plumbing, take off the valve, and do what i need to do to fix it?
  4. ditttohead

ditttohead Water systems designer, R&D

What is wrong with it?
  5. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

Oh, nothing at all is wrong with it, I'm just curious from a strictly theoretical perspective haha.
  6. ditttohead

7. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

8. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

Haha, thanks fellas. I have the unit and do indeed know how it works, but I am still wondering if I can just leave the bypass on the pipes and take the unit (valve head) off. Theoretically. ;)
  9. ditttohead

Yes, if you decide to move and want to take the system with you, you would only need to purchase a new bypass and plumbing connectors.
  10. Reach4

Reach4 Active Member

Theoretically you could remove a pair of orange clips and pull the tank+controller assembly away from the wall. Theoretically is a good word here, because I have not done it. You would not want to tilt. So whether you could pull that off safely might depend on you and your tank size. A smooth floor would seem to help. It might also depend on how much give is in your piping.

A flex connection would seem to be a lot better if your code allows.
  11. amateurplumber1

amateurplumber1 Member

Thanks guys! I guess it's redundant to use the bypass on the 7000sxt if i already have a bypass but whatever.
  12. ditttohead

Yes it is redundant. I prefer a high quality 3 valve bypass anytime, but the valve mounted Fleck and Clack bypasses are great quality and can be repaired easily.
  13. Mikey

Mikey Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek

Be sure to relieve pressure in the valve before pulling the clips.