if i install 1/2" water pipe, as a branch----

Users who are viewing this thread

BSA_Bob

DIY Member
Reaction score
in 25 feet, will i get the same amount of water,coming out, as i would a 3/4" pipe serving the 1/2" o/s spiggot. This hard water line is backed up off the main by a 35 foot of 3/4"copper. I seem to have less pressure in my hard water line.
? I have a soft and a hard water next to each other /front of house and in back.

What i'm trying to say the lines are 25 feet off a 3/4" main.both are 1/2" i think the hard water line should probably be 3"4" I s this the right thinking?? thanks for any of your time bob s

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe you are confusing pressure with volume or flow. Given equal pressure, you will get more volume of water out of the 3/4" pipe. (Area = Pi x radius squared) Do the math for the two pipes and you will see there is much more area in a 3/4" pipe than a 1/2" pipe. The only way to tell for sure what your pressure is is to use a pressure gauge. Pressure does not change with the diameter of a pipe. Over extreme distance you would have pressure loss because of friction, but it would be insignificant on the distance you are concerned with.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
There is always psi loss due to friction when water flows through a pipe. A larger diameter pipe has LESS loss. The psi loss increases with volume of flow.

In your situation, the difference would be slightly noticeable, but not extreme.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your faucet, whether 1/2" or 3/4" will have the same 1/4" opening in it, therefore the difference in flow between the two sizes for that length will be insignificant.

BSA_Bob

DIY Member
Reaction score
Your faucet, whether 1/2" or 3/4" will have the same 1/4" opening in it, therefore the difference in flow between the two sizes for that length will be insignificant.

I hadn't realized how much of this plumbing stuff i have forgotten!! Thanks HJ and all who posted help for me bob s

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks