Idiot needs help

Users who are viewing this thread

Camp Ranger

Reaction score
I'm new here so forgive my not looking through the archives...I'm lazy too.
What I am trying to do is tap an underground 5/8" OD/1/2" copper water line to provide water to a buried 55 gallon drum which will have a hand pump attached so children can experience the pleasure of pumping water such as their fore fathers had.
My conundrum is this; what is the best way to tap the existing water line?
I'm going from 1/2" copper to 3/4" PVC...maybe a saddle valve or 3 way connection using compression couplings; I've even pondered somehow using Shark Bites.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on how smooth and round the 1/2" pipe is.
If it's smooth and round enough, then the shark bites or the compression may work for you. The compression can work even if the pipe is sanded a bit.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
If you plan to have the drum underground and automatically fill to a certain level you will need a few more items as well...
A float valve/livestock watering valve and a backflow preventer so that the potable water in the pipe does not get contaminated...
This leads to questions about your location (freezing issues) and the final use of the hand-pumped water (potability issues)...
Tell us more about what you are planning to do as far as the piping in this system....

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tank

Fill it with a hose. There are so many health/sanitation restrictions and requirements for what you plan to do that unless it is done by someone who knows what they are doing, and you do not appear to, it could have serious repercussions.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
hj is right.
What you are considering would have cross connections problems unless you had a plumber figure a way to fill the barrel without contaminating your water supply.

Cookie

Reaction score
I can't help you with your plumbing woes, but, if by chance you are looking for a someone special you will need to be not so honest, :D

I love the idea of giving kids that experience and letting them walk back into time, how nice. I hope it goes well.

Camp Ranger

Reaction score
Wow, I knew I came to the right place, great advice.
I do have a float valve in the tank, but the cross contamination/back flow is something that did not cross my mind.
The hose is a great idea, there is a water bib close by so that sounds like the path of least resistance.
I think things will go well...get it, well.

Thanks

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Let's not forget that stagnant water in a barrel is also dangerous. Kids don't know they shouldn't drink it.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your camp has a pond you can run a line underground into the pond and connect to a pitcher pump mounted on a vertical steel pipe coming up out of the ground. Then there would be an unlimited supply of water.

They could use the pump to fill buckets to water the horses and to douse the campfires after they eat the hot dogs and s'mores.

Camp Ranger

Reaction score
My teachers have been instructed not to let the children drink the water, they will wash cook out dishes which will then be cleaned by our lodge dishwasher. This brings to mind the fact that 5th graders can't be watched all the time, so, is it possible to somehow reduce the risk of bacteria by chlorination, such as we do with aerobic systems i.e. adding calcium hypochlorite?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks