Identity and help on removal of handles

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by motonutz123, Jul 20, 2008.

1. motonutz123

motonutz123 New Member

Hi,

I'm trying to identify the handles in the photos. They are about 30 yrs. old and have never been removed. I was able to remove the screws with PB Blaster but can't get the handles off. I've used a handle remover but it doesn't help. The long pin on the remover doesn't seem to be long enough to grip and pull the handles. I improvised by making a small extension for it but neither of the handles will budge. I've also soaked the handles in PB Blaster. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

That appears to be a Union Brass model. Never seen in my neck of the woods, but since apparently some builders or plumbers in your area were using them, then the local supply houses will probably have parts.

You can rock the handle back forth a little , then spray some white vinegar in and around, and let is soak a few hours. Don't understand why a handle puller won't get on it.

Are you using a puller like this: http://www.superiortool.com/tools/specplumbtool/03870.htm
  3. motonutz123

motonutz123 New Member

Thanks Jimbo,

I checked Union Brass's Web site and you appear to be correct.

From what direction should rocking the handle back and forth be done. Is there a good method to avoid damaging things. Can a hammer be used in some way or prying from the side. I have the exact puller you show and the long pin just sits in the screw hole and the puller just grips the handle without pulling it. Are there any pullers that have interchangeable pins for different length handles? I'll try soaking it in white vinegar.