Identifying Cartridge, Moen 1200

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by kalisti, May 6, 2012.

1. kalisti

kalisti New Member

Hello,

I'm a total novice at this, but am having difficulty replacing a leaky shower faucet. It is a single faucet, pulls out to go on, turns to hot/cold. I had difficulty getting it out, but eventually was able to pull it straight out, after spraying some stuff in to remove build-up. I'm not positive I got everything out, but it seems like I did.

I brought the cartridge into my local hardware store to get a replacement, and he couldn't identify it. I was hoping someone here could help me. The cover says Moen on it, but there is no part number or identifier on the cartridge.

Any help would be super appreciated! I'd love to be able to do this myself, but am at a bit of a roadblock.

Thanks!

IMG_8064.jpg
    IMG_8065.jpg
    IMG_8066.jpg
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Moen 1200
    I'm guessing you have an old brass one. The outer shell is still stuck in the valve?

Below is the 1225B that is mainly plastic.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 6, 2012
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

With all due respect.....anyone working in the plumbing department of any store that does not recognize the inner stem of a Moen 1200.........sheeeeeesh!!

As Terry said, replace it with the 1225.

Your hard chore now is getting the main part of the cartridge out. The hardware stores have the moen removal tool. Check back with us if you have trouble. You WILL have trouble!
  4. kalisti

kalisti New Member

Thank you! Yes, it is mostly brass, which confused me when I went in to find a replacement. I saw the 1225 there and thought that would be the one I should get, but the plastic housing confused me. The tool the guy sold me just fit on to this and pulled it straight out. It was metal, with a single crossbar. Is there an additional tool I can use to get the stuck part of the cartridge out?
  5. kalisti

kalisti New Member