Ideas for 2-handle tub diverter preserving tile?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chessiec

Reaction score
Plumber has said my 1948 home's tub/shower faucet and tub diverter spout are shot. We have great vintage tile that we don't want to replace, and the cover-up with ears to cover holes from our 8" spread faucet (at least what I've seen at the big box) and go to a single handle set up looks rather terrible to me.

Anyone have a more elegant way to cover the holes in order to go to single lever? The bathroom double sinks each have a delta single lever on them.

I'm assuming the easiest and best thing to do is go back with a new 2-handle faucet, tub diverter spout set. The options are limited. Kohler Coralais or Revival, Moen Monticello, Price Pfister Savannah, or Newport Brass 3-803. I can't find Delta, Grohe or Gerber in 2-handle.

In looks, I probably like the Newport the best, Kohler Revival traditional lever best. But I know some on this board have good reason to not favor these brands, and function is highest priority. Any feed back on these options, or a pointer to others any of you like? And I assume I can use the Delta diverter spout (pull down, metal) with any of these?

Thanks for any help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Instead of using a divertor tub spout, you could use the second hole for a divertor valve.

Another possibilty is what I have in my home made by Grohe.

I'm pretty sure it adjusts to 8" - the piece that screws into the el in the wall has an offset to it, so you can adjust the spread.

Attachments

• 34066OOOc.jpg
    34066OOOc.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:

Chessiec

Reaction score
Looks great! But what is it?

Jim,
Grohe stuff always looks great to me. But....um...I'm not sure I know what that is and how it works.

Chessiec

Reaction score
HERE IT IS: But discontinued...And I don't think it will do for us.

Exposed Thermostatic Shower Valve, 34 067
Views
Left-click to view, right-click to download

main

dimensions

exploded

parts list
Description
-DISCONTINUED PRODUCT-
Use as parts reference only
Grip handles
Paraffin cartridge
Temperature and volume controls
Temperature limiter stop
"Economy" setting for water conservation
1/2" hand shower hose connection
Includes vacuum breaker
1/2" male threaded wall unions,
adjustable centers 5" to 7"
Flow Rate
4.8 gpm at 45 psi

Code Compliance
ASME/ANSI A112.18.1M
ASSE Standard 1016
Finishes and Suggested List Prices*

34 067 OOO Starlight® Chrome
$490.00

Rough-In Valves
N/A

Chessiec

Reaction score
Danz has a D500155 2 handle with vales that is pressure balanced. It is unusual in the the 2 valves, one for temperature and the other for flow volume, are set up horizontally with an 8" spread. For about $155, it also includes the valve body, But I don't think folks here thing much of Danze--is that right?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Their website says limited availability so it may be limited to stock on-hand. http://www.grohecatalog.com/product/34066/

Basically, its an externally mounted valve, tub spout with a built-in divertor. The second outlet on the bottom is for a hose for a hand-held shower. I've got a shower bar holding the hand-held. It's handy when cleaning things up since you can move it around easier. Except for the handles, the body of the thing is solid brass and probably weighs 10#.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks