Ideas for 2-handle tub diverter preserving tile?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by Chessiec, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Chessiec

Chessiec New Member

Plumber has said my 1948 home's tub/shower faucet and tub diverter spout are shot. We have great vintage tile that we don't want to replace, and the cover-up with ears to cover holes from our 8" spread faucet (at least what I've seen at the big box) and go to a single handle set up looks rather terrible to me.

Anyone have a more elegant way to cover the holes in order to go to single lever? The bathroom double sinks each have a delta single lever on them.

I'm assuming the easiest and best thing to do is go back with a new 2-handle faucet, tub diverter spout set. The options are limited. Kohler Coralais or Revival, Moen Monticello, Price Pfister Savannah, or Newport Brass 3-803. I can't find Delta, Grohe or Gerber in 2-handle.

In looks, I probably like the Newport the best, Kohler Revival traditional lever best. But I know some on this board have good reason to not favor these brands, and function is highest priority. Any feed back on these options, or a pointer to others any of you like? And I assume I can use the Delta diverter spout (pull down, metal) with any of these?

Thanks for any help.
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Instead of using a divertor tub spout, you could use the second hole for a divertor valve.

Another possibilty is what I have in my home made by Grohe.

I'm pretty sure it adjusts to 8" - the piece that screws into the el in the wall has an offset to it, so you can adjust the spread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  3. Chessiec

Chessiec New Member

Looks great! But what is it?

Jim,
    Grohe stuff always looks great to me. But....um...I'm not sure I know what that is and how it works.
  4. Chessiec

Chessiec New Member

HERE IT IS: But discontinued...And I don't think it will do for us.

Exposed Thermostatic Shower Valve, 34 067
    Views
    Left-click to view, right-click to download

main

dimensions

exploded

parts list
    Description
    -DISCONTINUED PRODUCT-
    Use as parts reference only
    Grip handles
    Paraffin cartridge
    Temperature and volume controls
    Temperature limiter stop
    "Economy" setting for water conservation
    1/2" hand shower hose connection
    Includes vacuum breaker
    1/2" male threaded wall unions,
    adjustable centers 5" to 7"
    Flow Rate
    4.8 gpm at 45 psi

Code Compliance
    ASME/ANSI A112.18.1M
    ASSE Standard 1016
    Finishes and Suggested List Prices*

34 067 OOO Starlight® Chrome
    $490.00

Rough-In Valves
    N/A
  5. Chessiec

Chessiec New Member

Danz has a D500155 2 handle with vales that is pressure balanced. It is unusual in the the 2 valves, one for temperature and the other for flow volume, are set up horizontally with an 8" spread. For about $155, it also includes the valve body, But I don't think folks here thing much of Danze--is that right?
  6. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Their website says limited availability so it may be limited to stock on-hand. http://www.grohecatalog.com/product/34066/

Basically, its an externally mounted valve, tub spout with a built-in divertor. The second outlet on the bottom is for a hose for a hand-held shower. I've got a shower bar holding the hand-held. It's handy when cleaning things up since you can move it around easier. Except for the handles, the body of the thing is solid brass and probably weighs 10#.