ID Help?

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by bassadict69, Dec 28, 2010.

1. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

This is original stuff circa 1978...

I believe the diverter valve is giving us problems. When we open it to turn on the shower, it makes a knocking sound and water barely comes out of the shower head. Here are a couple of pics...I can remove a handle if needed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. asktom

asktom Member

You have a Sayco. It could be that there is just a loose washer. If the washer is gouged or rough you need a new seat.
  3. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

Can the shafts be replaced on these? Someone told me the whole assembly would have to be changed!
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Those sayco stems are available at most plumbing supply. Plan on replacing the seats, which screw out easily.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

It could also be Harcraft so you should remove the stem and take it with you for comparison.
  6. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

Thanks guys...looks like I will be learning to do this as I go!
  7. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

Now what do I do? I finally broke the stem loose but cannot get it out all the way. Also, the nut portion of it that the sockets grabs slides up and down the stem & will pull off the stem completely. Is it supposed to? The stem has what looks like large threads which I also had to unscrew. The pics show what I have now & this is as far as I can get it out!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

Here it is...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. asktom

asktom Member

Looks like you got it out. It is Sayco. Here are some numbers for it.

OEM P006
    Larsen S-934-4
    Partsmaster 2854
    Danco 9B-5D
    Kissler 23-3314
    Brasscraft ST2684
  10. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

Awesome! Thanks...

Looks like the availability will not be a problem. Too bad a popular plumbing company here in town told me parts were unavailable! They said we would have to tear into the wall & replace the whole valve assy.
  11. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Until they knew the manufacturer, there is no way they COULD know the availability of parts. If it was a plumbing company called to repair the faucet and told you that, then they were more concerned with making a "big sale" by replacing the faucet, than giving you an economical repair, (and I would "lose" their phone number for future repairs).
  12. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

Their phone number was lost a long time ago...I had them quote me to replace the valves under a sink & they were twice as high as the other two estimates I had. When I called them about the tub, it was because sometimes the hot/cold valves act a little wierd. They said they could not be replace due to availability...

My next project will be the hot & cold stems. Anyone know if the tub faucet part is replaceable?
  13. asktom

asktom Member

The hot and cold stems are available. I think I know what you need, but I have this little voice in my head that says Sayco used 2 different H&C stems with your valve depending on the vintage, so you should post a picture. If you take a stem with you when you buy the diverter you should be able to pick it up then, anyone who has the diverter will have the H&C. When you change the H&C you should also change the seats. By the way, your handle style was called "Space Age with a Spare". Space Age speaks for itself and "Spare" refers to the fact that an extra seat was contained within the handle. If, when you popped the button off the diverter handle, something fell out and rattled down the drain it was a seat.
  14. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

The h&c stems will get changed another time! I picked up the diverter stem today from HD. It is the Danco 9B-5D and came with a large washer type spacer with threads on the OD of it...what is it for?
  15. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

Not sure what I am doing wrong here! I replaced the stem, put it all back together & it still does the same thing as before which is knocking when turned to a certain point, then when opened all the way, the shower head stops flowing water.
  16. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

The mystery part that came with the new stem...
    [​IMG]

A couple pics of the hole...is something else in there that needs to come out?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. asktom

asktom Member

In your picture of the old diverter stem there is an O-ring missing, it may be washing around inside the valve and causing the problems.

The mystery piece slips over the bottom of the stem on some models and is held in place when you screw in the stem, the trim screws onto it.
  18. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

I have the old o ring...I had to dig it out!
  19. Redwood

Redwood Master Plumber

Sound like you have some loose debris blocking the flow of water. And that seat is shot.
  20. bassadict69

bassadict69 New Member

So just a normal seat puller is what I need to remove it?