Icera Toilets Take 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I realized that I posted this on the wrong forum so here goes again:

I am renovating a second floor bathroom and originally wanted to buy a Toto Eco Nexus Toilet. The salesperson at the plumbing supply - which sells MANY brands including Toto - recommended getting the Icera Cadence 2 piece instead because it costs less, has the same design I wanted, and she says is just as good as the Toto. The mechanisms are the same. There is barely any mention of Icera anywhere and the plumbers I have asked have not heard of it. Does anyone have experience with Icera? I believe they also make the St. Thomas toilets.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Actually, the Cadence (which I have never heard of before) looks a lot more like the Toto Legato than it does the Nexus.

The "mechanisms" in most toilets are basically-similar, although the quality of the parts can vary. It's not a determining factor, usually.

What IS critical in how well a toilet will perform is the design of the toilet trapway. Toto's patented design is the reason their toilets flush so well. Over and over on this forum, we talk about trapway design. It is what "sucks" the waste from the bowl when you flush a gravity toilet. I don't know the manufacturer you name, but it seems unlikely to me that it is going to have a trapway as well-designed as the Toto. You should be able to get that Eco-Nexus (in white) for a little more than $500, by the way, just so you have a point of comparison. Be sure you have a competent plumber/contractor who reads directions when you go to install it.

Why mess around with an off-brand when you can buy an exceptional toilet from one of the largest and most-respected plumbing fixture manufacturers in the world?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I agree, Wallijohn, that if the poster does this, they should give us a review.

Why you think they SHOULD do it based on a (now essentially useless) MAP rating and trapway size is another question. The thing uses a Korky 528 fill valve (or Fluidmaster 400A) and standard 3" flapper, but as I said in the other forum, the nature of these parts says nothing about how well the thing is going to flush or how well it is going to be made. We tell people to pick the Toto that looks nicest to them because we have confidence that the quality and performance across the product line (except for the Carusoe) is going to be great. I, at least, do not have that confidence about other brands. I just saw a post yesterday from a guy that bought successive Gerber Vipers and had to keep bringing them back because of defects. And Gerber is a much better-known brand than St. Thomas Creations.

Last edited:

Wallijonn

Reaction score
Personally, if one looks at the Icera video the Toto owner should be able ascertain a difference in the flushing power. Whether or not it would matter to a new owner is a different matter. Personally, I wasn't impressed with the rim jet wash, but that's just me. Again, only a Toto owner is likely to detect any difference. Another sticking point with me is the seat height. I think Toto at 16+1/4" is high and at 16+1/2 all the others (Kohler, AS) are w-a-y t00 high. Personally, I would like the bowl rim to be 15.5" to 16.0" high. But that's just me. The ADA standard is that the seat must be at 17.0" -19.0". The Toto at 16.25" when one adds a 0.75" (plastic) thick seat, will meet the requirement.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks