Icemaker outlet box tight squeeze

Users who are viewing this thread

Geoff Trostel

Reaction score
I'm replacing my fridge soon and the new one will be wider than the current. I'm concerned about the water line getting pinched since the new fridge is 35 7/8" and the opening is 36 1/4". The icemaker outlet box is on the right side wall and I'm including pictures with the old fridge in place. As you can see there's room with the current fridge to bend the copper, but with the new one I don't think there will be enough room without pinching the line. The braided lines leave less room to bend as they have a large sleeve near the nut, so that's not an option.
Looking for ideas.
Thank you in advance!
IMG_0314.JPG
IMG_0313.JPG

Last edited:

Jadziedzic

Reaction score
Check your local "orange" or "blue" box store for a 3/8" right-angle brass threaded fitting with male threads on one end and female threads on the other; that will get the line to the refrigerator running vertically without any extreme bends in the line.

Geoff Trostel

Reaction score

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The icemake line is 1/4" OD
The fitting at the shutoff is 1/4" compression, not NPT
Sometimes you can spin the valve at an angle, or maybe not. I would need a better look. Perhaps some drywall out if it needs to be cut and redone.
I would consider installing on the back wall. That's a really tight fit.

Geoff Trostel

Reaction score
No luck with that elbow at my blue box store. It was too big and the wrong thread size. May need to visit a plumbing supply co. I'm not familiar with compression elbows that have a female and male thread. It looks like I may need a 1/4" elbow, if such a part exists for compression fittings.

Geoff Trostel

Reaction score
The icemake line is 1/4" OD
The fitting at the shutoff is 1/4" compression, not NPT
Sometimes you can spin the valve at an angle, or maybe not. I would need a better look. Perhaps some drywall out if it needs to be cut and redone.
I would consider installing on the back wall. That's a really tight fit.

Just saw your post, thank you.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is NO elbow with compression threads and a compression 90 would take more space than your bent copper tubing. The valve's shank should be soldered on so it could not be rotated.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks