Ice maker outlet box installation

Users who are viewing this thread

moneybroker

Reaction score
Is there a standard height/location for installing an ice maker outlet box, or is it dependent on the refrigerator? The specs on the refrigerator are not specific, but this is a counterdepth installation. Thanks to anyone for some advice!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are the specs on the web as a pdf?
Maybe you can post the link.

The box will be recessed, but of course the water line has to be somewhere.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Moneybroker said:
Is there a standard height/location for installing an ice maker outlet box, or is it dependent on the refrigerator?

I just put them about six inches above the floor, bringing the water line up from the plate. It's a good idea to get them behind the 'fridge, but I tried to put the box on the left (facing it) side of the space because that's usually where the water connection is. If the 'fridge can be pulled out, there needs to be enough of a loop for the tubing - and they make some nice 1/4" PEX for that, which is a little tougher than the old poly tubing and not prone to pinholes like copper.

If this is a hard-mounted unit, then ignore everything I said and contact the manufacturer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Im

As a general rule if it is at the lower left corner of the recess it will work, BUT some builtins such as Sub Zero need it higher, sometimes at the very top of the reefer.

icemaker-box-mcmasters.jpg

moneybroker

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I could not find any specs from the manufacturer, so perhaps I should visit the showroom and take a look at the back of the unit.

What material is recommended for the water line?

Lancaster

Reaction score
Flexible braided supply is my favorite.As mentioned above,get one long enough to offer some slack for moving the refrig.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
My favorite supply line is PEX. It's far tougher than the previous 1/4" plastic lines, and less prone to bacterial growth, I think, than the polyethylene-lined braided hoses. At least, I've had to replace the braided ones when they began to emit sulphuric-acid odor, and I've never noticed a problem with PEX.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks