Ice maker outlet box installation

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by moneybroker, Dec 14, 2007.

1. moneybroker

moneybroker New Member

Is there a standard height/location for installing an ice maker outlet box, or is it dependent on the refrigerator? The specs on the refrigerator are not specific, but this is a counterdepth installation. Thanks to anyone for some advice!
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Are the specs on the web as a pdf?
    Maybe you can post the link.

The box will be recessed, but of course the water line has to be somewhere.
  3. Herk

Herk Plumber

I just put them about six inches above the floor, bringing the water line up from the plate. It's a good idea to get them behind the 'fridge, but I tried to put the box on the left (facing it) side of the space because that's usually where the water connection is. If the 'fridge can be pulled out, there needs to be enough of a loop for the tubing - and they make some nice 1/4" PEX for that, which is a little tougher than the old poly tubing and not prone to pinholes like copper.

If this is a hard-mounted unit, then ignore everything I said and contact the manufacturer.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Im

As a general rule if it is at the lower left corner of the recess it will work, BUT some builtins such as Sub Zero need it higher, sometimes at the very top of the reefer.
  5. moneybroker

moneybroker New Member

Thanks for the info. I could not find any specs from the manufacturer, so perhaps I should visit the showroom and take a look at the back of the unit.

What material is recommended for the water line?
  6. Lancaster

Lancaster New Member

Flexible braided supply is my favorite.As mentioned above,get one long enough to offer some slack for moving the refrig.
  7. Herk

Herk Plumber

My favorite supply line is PEX. It's far tougher than the previous 1/4" plastic lines, and less prone to bacterial growth, I think, than the polyethylene-lined braided hoses. At least, I've had to replace the braided ones when they began to emit sulphuric-acid odor, and I've never noticed a problem with PEX.