Ice maker box for existing drywall

Users who are viewing this thread

Mark Melton

Reaction score
I am wanting to install a ice maker box for my refrigerator. There is already drywall that is hung and finished where i'm wanting to put it. Does anyone make an ice maker box that is like a old work style electrical box with the tabs that tighten against the drywall? Although this will rarely be seen i would like to minimize the amount of drywall damage. Any suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I cut the wings off the box, and screw into a stud on the side.

icemaker_box_pex.jpg

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have put electrical boxes in existing drywall without having to make repairs. That said, minor repairs in drywall does not require a high degree of skill. IMHO, ever homeowner should be able to patch damaged drywall without calling in a contractor.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I would cut the drywall to the box dimensions but do not included wings. You can then put the box in tabs first on one side and move it so the other tabs go inside the drywall. Being careful not to drop it in the wall cavity, square it up to the cutout and then use screws through the drywall to the tabs to secure it. However, Terry's way is better since you'll be into a wood stud. Depending how you connect the water line and the type of pipe used you may have to cut the width of the box then all the way down to the floor to open it up to connect the water line. Cut the cutout section to cover the open area of the wall. Patching would not be required since it is behind the refrigerator unless that side of the refrigerator is exposed. But as Gary stated, drywall patching is very easy.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most homes have a 1/4" stop valve coming out the wall. It's cheaper than a stop valve in a box with a hammer arrestor. Cost? about $5.
What kind of pipe do you have in the wall behind the fridge? Can you upload a pic?
With an angle stop valve outside the wall, you can't push the fridge all the way to the wall, which is fine, since you need some room behind the fridge for ventilation anyway.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks