Ian...We need to know Why

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
and only you can tell us...is it True?

More guys skip the soap after the loo, English study finds

Mother told you to scrub your hands with soap and water after going to the bathroom. Guess the girls listened better than the boys.
A study of nearly 200,000 male and female restroom users of all ages at a highway service station in England found that, unprompted, just 32 percent of men washed their hands with soap, compared with 65 percent of women.
The data was collected from infrared sensors that measured people entering and leaving the restrooms, while wireless sensors recorded soap use.
Peer pressure might be an effective way to boost hand-washing, researchers found. The researchers put different text messages in the bathrooms urging users to scrub up.
Men were much likelier than women to wash their hands with soap after seeing a "disgust" message, such as "Don't take the loo with you -- wash with soap," upping hand-washing by 9.8 percent. Women responded more to "knowledge of risk" signs, such as "Water doesn't kill germs, soap does," increasing soap rates by 9.4 percent.
For both groups, a message carrying a form of peer pressure was one of the most effective: "Is the person next to you washing with soap?"
The study was published in the October 2009 issue of the American Journal of Public Health. AP

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Actually, not all soap kills germs, which is why if you want a soap that kills germs you buy what is called the antibacterial soaps, like Dial and it also, takes off the first layer of skin. So, that is also good in you won't shed so much skin in the sheets. And, if you want to kill even more germs you get yourself a stiff brush and scrub away.

Girls on the whole have less germs than boys because we have better sanitary habits across the board. We generally do not pick our noses, scrach our private parts, and when little play in dirt. We also like the feeling of being clean and water.

What are little boys made of?
Snips and snails
And puppy-dog tails,
That's what little boys are made of.

What are little girls made of?
Sugar and spice
And everything nice,
That's what little girls are made of.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
That's true. I didn't wash my hands for a very long time.

There's also the fear that actually touching the things you need to wash your hands might make them more dirty....the taps, the towel etc....especially in public places.

Plus in England, they are often not as good at maintaining things to dry your hands with as here. So the option is don't wash em and leave with dry hands or do wash em and leave with soggy mits.

There's less soap available in public places too.

Lots of restrooms resemble the sort of ones you find at the beach here in the US. Not very good.

Not washing your hands is a good way to get worms.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
So the next time I go fishing I shouldn't wash my hands eh...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
So the next time I go fishing, if I don't wash my hands, I will have plenty of bait and a runny nose...

Cookie

Reaction score
Their are all kind of tricks you learn when you have a problem with immunity. I carry in my purse ( along with my weapons, :) ) a package of antibacterial wipes. Those are for use in bathrooms other than my own, to wipe anything I would touch, before I touch. I rarely, catch a cold. Now watch... I just jinxed myself and will come down with a rip-roaring one.

I also only touch the flush handle to the toilet with my foot as most people do these days, and when opening a door, sorry, but if possible I use my elbow, or I will take my sleeve and very casually, wrap it around my hand first. No one seems to notice.

In my own home it is different. You can lick my floors, and toilet handle, lol. what a disgusting thought, :)

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
Actually, not all soap kills germs, which is why if you want a soap that kills germs you buy what is called the antibacterial soaps, like Dial and it also, takes off the first layer of skin. So, that is also good in you won't shed so much skin in the sheets. And, if you want to kill even more germs you get yourself a stiff brush and scrub away.

I read that anitbacterial soaps don't do any better than regular soaps and also is more harmful.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), antibacterial soaps are not necessary, but washing your hands thoroughly with ordinary soap and warm water is one of the most effective ways to ward off infection.

•The antibacterial components of soaps (usually triclosan or, less commonly, triclocarbon) need to be left on a surface for about two minutes in order to work. Most people are not this patient, and end up washing off the soap before the antibacterial ingredients can do their job.
•Some scientists theorize that bacteria may develop a resistance to bactericidal agents over time.
•Some bacteria actually benefit us. The normal population of bacteria on our bodies not only eats our sweat, but also helps defend us against truly harmful, invasive bacteria.
•Many common diseases are viral in nature, anyway, and are therefore not prevented by antibacterial products.

Also i think guys do not use soap because when we go to the bathroom we don't wipe so no fecal matter to worry about. Washing with water is good enough (not that i don't do it).
I wash with soap and then use the paper towel in my hand when opeing the door handle and throw outside.

Cookie

Reaction score
I don't know about part 2 of your post, lol, but, I can tell you this, when in the hospital for any type of procedure, operation etc, it is required that you wash with antibacterial soap. I have Dial for the bath sinks, and nicer soap for bathing with.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I don't know about part 2 of your post, lol, but, I can tell you this, when in the hospital for any type of procedure, operation etc, it is required that you wash with antibacterial soap. I have Dial for the bath sinks, and nicer soap for bathing with.

This is what i was reading, so the antibacterial hand/dish soap that we use is not the same chemical makeup or at lower concentration than what the medical institution uses.

For surgery, a surgical scrub was developed using a general antiseptic called chlorhexadine gluconate, which kills gram-positive and most gram-negative bacteria. CG was also found to be useful as an injection and preoperative surgical site cleanser.

Triclosan and trichlocarban are also in hospitals, at concentrations far higher than consumer products contain, for the purposes of cleaning skin for surgery. At high concentrations, it is extremely effective at killing bacteria.

August, 2007 edition of Clinical Infectious Diseases (Consumer Antibacterial Soaps: Effective or Just Risky) examines the results of 27 studies from 1980-2006. They "found that soaps containing triclosan within the range of concentrations commonly used in the community setting (0.1 to 0.45 percent wt/vol) were no more effective than plain soaps" (http://www.physorg.com/news106418144.html) when it came to preventing infectious illness or removing bacteria.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
My wife always yells at me when I pee and don't wash my hands afterwards, I tell her I didn't pee on my hands.
shrug.gif

I try to never touch door handles and railings in public and I also do the paper towel thing that Peanut does when leaving a public bathroom.

Also, in a previous life I did maintenance and janitorial duties at a semi-large clthing store. The women, hands down, left the bathroom in a disgusting state. Women's restrooms in general are way nastier places, some guys may miss with their aim but women's restrooms make me want to puke.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
That is interesting Peter.

When my sons were little I put a bulls-eye in the bottom of the toilet and made it a game, to this day they laugh about it.

The thing with the women's room mess is the toilet paper. If they make a mess they won't pick it up, like once it hits the floor is the contaminated. lol. I get so tired of it sticking to my shoes. :) Women will not dry the sinks either or wipe off excess soap. So you can't sit your purse their, you can't sit it on the floor, so you strap it around your neck. And, those weapons in mine, lol, weight a ton.

I walked into a men's room once by mistake, (startled everyone standing there :) ) but, I wasn't real impressed with you guys neatness, either.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Was eating at a Red Lobster once and unknowingly went into the ladys room by accident...went right into one of the stalls..while sitting there the door opened and I watched in horror :eek: as a pair of high heels went by...I was frozen...a min or so later she left and I got up and when I opened the door noticed there were no urinals in there and as I opened the door to leave noticed the word Women on the door...never got caught...but it was close..

Cookie

Reaction score
ha ha ha ha ha, you were lucky, if I caught you I would have had to shoot you. :) or at least give you a few hundred thousands volts. lol.

I was in a mall once, in high school, went into a stall, and looked down and to the right of me, saw a pair of mens black wing tips. I was outa there.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Let's just all agree not to wash hands or shake them either.

In England, it is quite common to take one's wife into the mens if the queue for the ladies is too long.

I doubt American men have such good manners (because we didn't send the best on the boat over here).

Cookie

Reaction score
Un, as a female, I don't think I want to use a men's room, I heard the noise in there, lol.

American men are okay, I am an American woman so I can cast this vote. Not all American men, but nothing is ever 100 percent, well, not most things.
I love those little people things you do, I get a kick out of them.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Girls on the whole have less germs than boys because we have better sanitary habits across the board.

Not sure where that urban legend came from. :p When I was still in high school doing the typical early jobs (fast food, drive in, etc.) one of the worst assignments was cleaning the "ladies" room. Male and female coworkers agreed on this. I was accustomed to cleaning the dairy pen, using the manure spreader, cleaning calf sheds, delivering calves and slopping the hogs, but cleaning the ladies room was not for the faint of heart. :eek: The men's room was less of an adventure to clean.

Why don't men wash in public restrooms? I try to avoid touching ANYTHING while in there...including door handles and faucets.

Cookie

Reaction score
The way a "lady" keeps the bathroom is not the same thing as her personal sanitary habits. One is housekeeping habits the other is personal hygenics.

Unless a person really has a health problem, or is at high risk, mainly an immunity problem you really don't need to go through so many loops regarding certain things. It is wise to take precautions, yes but it doesn't need to be as extreme.

Life changes when you have an immunity problem or at high risk and people like us we have to change with it but their is no need for a healthy person to do so many things. If it were me, I wouldn't. I would just live my life normally.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks