I touched up wood vanity & want to seal/clear coat. What's the best for a bathroom?

Users who are viewing this thread

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
It is a home depot stained all wood vanity. I want to seal it so the finish will last another 10 years.

Also, water seeps under and swells the base and delaminates. Should I put a bead of silicone chalk along base?
Suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would use something non-wicking at the base of the cabinet.
There is that much moisture on the floor there?
Is it from the plumbing? Or is it ground water?

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
The moisture is just from the occupants just splashing water.
Me with two little kids and then the worst tenants in the world.
They were there 6 months before I evicted them. They put about 3 years wear and tear on the place.
Brand new carpets looks years old.
Anyway.
The vanity is plywood with a finish grade ply on the outside.
I'm gonna buy that clear poly and put two thin coats on.
What should I thin that with?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most polyurethane wood finishes are designed to be used straight out of the can...so, unless you may be spraying it rather than painting it on, you do not want to actually thin it. Any suitable thinner would be listed on the container, and isn't necessarily a universal answer.

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
So I bought the minwax stuff above, but I bought the wipe on version.

I know my limits and I won't be able to get the brush on to look good not in the time I have.

Next to it was the same product in a wipe on form, so I'm going to do three or four coats of that. Steel wool and tack cloth a must.

If the base blisters again I will tile around the base.

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
okay so I got the first coat on.three hours wait.p I'm now going to steel wool the whole thing vacuum then tack cloth and rub on another coat

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Personally, I find that steel wool is best kept to after the last coat, if at all (I'll use it when I want a matt finish, but will use sandpaper - maybe wet/dry 400 grit stuff before it to get rid of slubs). Some fine grit sandpaper will flatten the dust nubs in the finish better, rather than rounding them over, and if you ever had a sliver of the steel wool left, it will rust underneath the next layer of finish.

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
This wipe on poly has not bubbles whatsoever.
I'm debating whether I should just leave it at two coats.
I suppose three will be longer lasting if I do three. I can prep it, put the door on and wipe it down.
then in 24 hours it will be ready for the next tenant to scratch it up.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks