I think my well pump has broken suction...

Users who are viewing this thread

Timbuktu

Reaction score
My pump has always discharged water into the reservoir tank as soon as the pump is triggered on . I noticed that it takes 2 to 4 minutes now for that same process. I assume the water now has to be pumped up from its static line each and everytime the pump starts up. It has been operating this way for some time. Is there a significant downside to not getting this repaired right away? I realize it will use more electricity due to the extra work required to bring the water up ( 1/2 hp pump) Is that extra work significantly more so that early pump failure will result ? Can it be fixed without calling out the pump company?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is not really good for your pump to start with no head against it. But just filling a cistern and only starting a couple times a day will probably not cause the pump to fail on upthrust. The extra electric will be minimal and not worth worrying about. I would just use it this way and make sure you get a new check valve when the pump is replaced.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks