I screwed up, tiled my floor too tight for the closet flange to sit flush

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by annagibs, Dec 11, 2013.

1. annagibs

annagibs New Member

Hi all I'm having problem that I hope you guys can solve
    I didn't account for the bevel underside of the flange so now it sticks up, rather than being flush.
    What are my options?? Flange without bevel? Somehow chip the tile away? What's best? Thanks in advance
  2. Reach4

Reach4 Well-Known Member

1. Sticks up how far?
    2. Is it sturdy and stable/
  3. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

As long as the toilet sets over the flange, you will be okay.
    There is quite a bit of space under a bowl.

[​IMG]
  4. annagibs

annagibs New Member

5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

This would have been too high.
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  6. annagibs

annagibs New Member

Yes way too high! Went back to the depot for a grinder and found the stainless flange with a smaller bevel. It still isn't completely flush with the tile it lips up maybe 1/8 on one side. Is that going to cause me any problems??
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If the toilet fits over it without hitting (do a dry fit), and, you can anchor the ring to the subflooring (you might want to put a washer or shim or something to keep from deforming the ring), it will work.

FWIW, Sioux city makes some they claim will fit flush in that situation...I haven't seen one in person, but supposedly, it's got a nice clean 90-degree angle on the bottom. You do want one with a SS ring, not the painted steel, though (and Sioux City does make them, too).
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  8. cacher_chick

cacher_chick Test, Don't Guess!

If you really want it to lay flat, a diamond blade in a 4" angle grinder will allow one to grind around the pipe to fit as needed.
  9. bluebinky

bluebinky Member

You mean grind the tile or pipe? Wear a dust mask when grinding tile...