I need help identifying shower valve and/or locating a replacement cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

larry702

Reaction score
rectangular trim piece says flowmatic. handle has a crown on it like a price pfister logo i found from the 1960's. i looked at a price pfister replacement (#900-0220) that is almost identical to the original but it has different hole patterns to it for both the screws and the water flow. i attached a photo of the base in the wall showing the hole patterns i need. any help would be sincerely appreciated.

Attachments

• MyMixerValve.jpg
    MyMixerValve.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 596

larry702

Reaction score
thanks for your reply.
i saw that one on your website. i am guessing its a universal rough-in because it has 8 screw holes and looks like it will accept the cartridge you show elsewhere, pp#900-0220 and my original 6 hole cartridge. i tried pp#900-0220 on mine and it worked. only 4 screws to secure it but with the cork gasket there are no leaks. will have to get a handle and modify the trim later. it is my only shower and i am getting a little ripe. attached is a picture.

Attachments

• DSCF0443.JPG
    DSCF0443.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 646

John Drazba

Reaction score
Hello there. I really could use some help and clarification with this Price Pfister Flowmatic shower valve (model 900-022). I need a replacement for our old unit. After making a few calls, I have been told that the old up and down for off, sided to side for hot and cold valve has been replaced by a fully rotary valve (picture and link included to this new style valve).

Flowmatic cartridge

flowmatic-cartridge-01.jpg

So my questions are:

- Will this work for me? Anyone have experience with this new design? Does it work well?

- Do I need to purchase a new handle and/or trim to make this work or is it a direct substitute?

- Any other things to consider/watch out for?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Drazba

Reaction score
Terry,

Hello there. Thank you for the response and the information. I just called Danco, asked about their cartridge part #31654 (OEM part #900-022), and was told that this design was changed to a new fully rotary one sometime in 2016. I then asked if the same lever type handle design could be used, and the fellow said he had no idea. He stated that I would be a lot happier with the control of this new rotary design.

So, I guess I am still wondering what handle and/or trim modifications might be required to accommodate the new motion valve. I did find that a new rotary handle design was available (picture and link included below), but I was not thrilled that this assembly is plastic. Thoughts/comments/suggestions would be appreciated. I do not want to end up with a new set of problems.

thumb.php

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks