I need an "air eliminator" valve to "temporally" install above ground for a well sys.

Users who are viewing this thread

yeto

Reaction score
Hi,

I think the check valve at the bottom of my well is not working. I need to "temporally" install a check valve above ground until I can afford to have this fixed. Is there some type of air eliminator type valve that I can install that will blend off the air so that I don't get all that air inside the house?

Thanks in advance for any help,
yeto

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I think you would be better off without using an air vent/vac valve. If you don’t have any leaks up top the new check valve will hold water in the drop pipe like holding your finger over a straw full of tea. It will cause a “pop” and water hammer when it starts, but you won’t have to worry about venting the air.

If your drop pipe drains back when the pump is off, you have to wait a while for the water to get to the top after the pump starts. This could leave you out of water at the faucets, then blast water out when it finally gets to the top.

Either way is a temporary fix. The check valve at the bottom of the well needs to be replaced.

yeto

Reaction score
If your drop pipe drains back when the pump is off, you have to wait a while for the water to get to the top after the pump starts. This could leave you out of water at the faucets, then blast water out when it finally gets to the top.

Either way is a temporary fix. The check valve at the bottom of the well needs to be replaced.

I agree 100% this would be a temporary fix. If I do get air this valve was recommended.

http://www.pexsupply.com/Taco-49-100T-2-1-Bronze-4900-Series-Air-Separator

If I decide to get a valve to help with the air would this be the best? I value your opinion.

Kind regards and thank you for taking the time to post,
yeto

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Air vent/vac valve would allow the pipe to drain back. Just vent only may not, which would be better. Any cheap air vent will work, better if it doesn’t also vac.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I need to "temporally" install a check valve above ground until I can afford to have this fixed.

If you are getting air in the lines now, then you already have one too many checkvalves in the system unless you have a hydro-pneumatic tank and a snifter.

If the air is entering other than at a snifter, then so too might contaminated ground water.

yeto

Reaction score
If you are getting air in the lines now, then you already have one too many checkvalves in the system unless you have a hydro-pneumatic tank and a snifter.

If the air is entering other than at a snifter, then so too might contaminated ground water.

As long as pump runs (and it is running all the time right now) I am not getting any air.

yeto

Reaction score
Air vent/vac valve would allow the pipe to drain back. Just vent only may not, which would be better. Any cheap air vent will work, better if it doesn’t also vac.

Would I place this vent before or after the check valve?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Air vent before the check valve. Is the pump running all the time because it can't build up to shut off, or are you just letting a water hose run all the time?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I hope you are turning the breaker off when the water is not being used. Even then letting a pump run with a hole in the pipe will at the very least destroy your pump if not the entire well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks