I Need Advice Before I Tile Shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Rasta Linus

Reaction score
In the picture I have attached I circled little bumps that the Redgard or thinset made and I'm wondering if I will needing to be shave them down before I tile? When they are removed it leaves a hole in the membrane and I guess I will be patching each one if y'all think they need to be smoothed out. Thanks for any help!!

Attachments

• shower-wall.jpg
    shower-wall.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 338

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You'll have problems if you don't get rid of them. BTW, there is a min/max on the coating's thickness, did you happen to use a wet film gauge to check? In this case, more is not necessarily better, and less may be worse. Only if you are setting something like a thick stone tile or a very large one where you need to use a medium bed mortar would you possibly be able to leave the bumps there, but even then, it may be a pain.

Rasta Linus

Reaction score
It's best to sand the thinset before you apply the waterproofing. I used a coarse 3M sanding sponge.

Also, what are those vertical striations in the Red Guard?

That's where the Redgard has not been applied thick enough; they're in the concrete board.

Rasta Linus

Reaction score
I really hate that I didn't sand before I put the redgard on. Oh well, I'm just going to go through with a utility knife cutting them off and then reapply a little redgard to patch it back. I am putting up 12"x24" tiles so maybe a little unevenness won't be a problem. I'm going to do my best to get rid of them though. Thank you

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Industry standards want an even flatter surface for big tile than for smaller ones! The only potential saving grace is that unless they are VERY flat with no cupping or warping or twisting (put two of them together face-to-face and check), you should be using a medium bed mortar to install them, and that CAN (not necessarily needs to) be reliably thicker than thinset. Keep in mind, thinset is NOT designed for anything thicker than 1/4" thickness installed (nominally, 3/16" is the design goal with most). If applied thicker than that, it is subject to shrinkage and cracking, not something you want underneath your tile. A medium bed mortar is designed for thicknesses up to about 3/4" or so (while there's an industry spec on thinset, there is no testable spec for a medium bed mortar on max thickness...IOW, you have to go on the manufacturer's installation instructions, and that varies by brand and product). You can only reliably get a good bond and a good result with a thinner layer when the tile AND the surface are perfectly flat and plumb...that can happen, but it is not the norm.

Rasta Linus

Reaction score
jadnashua, thank you very much for your input. I will be using a medium bed mortar on these tiles.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks