I Need a dyi Water System for my New Home

Users who are viewing this thread

smesler78

Reaction score
My husband and I have a new home but we are not happy with the price quoted to us by our well driller on what it will cost to put in a water softener system. Here are our test results could someone direct us on what we need as we are both handy with projects? Our water is not terrible to drink or anything but after being here 4 months our fixtures are starting to malfuntion due to mineral build up and we have red staining in certain areas of our plumbing. From what I have read we definately need a softner but where I am stumped is, I get a softener then my Ph lowers, what next? My home has 6 occupants with 3300 sq. ft., not sure if this matters. We also have a system that boosts the pressure so we never lack in water pressure. Again not sure if any of this matters?!

Hardness - 6gpg

Iron - 1.4 ppm

Ph - 6.0

Manganese - .1ppm

Nitrates and Sulphur - No trace

Total Dissolved Solids - 130 ppm

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Your water is acidic and that requires an acid neutralizing filter. They add hardness to the water. Then you need a softener to remove the total hardness, iron and manganese. Some here will say you need an tron filter instead of using a softener to remove the iron etc.. They love spending your money for you and disagreeing with most things I say.

We need to know hw many people and bathrooms and if there are any large tubs, 2 person or body spray showers etc.. The sq ft of the house has nothing to do with this.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
That's what you call a preemptive strike :cool:

Yep, I sure do enjoy spending other folks money. Must have some democrat in me. Here's my take on iron removal. If, you are willing to do the extra maintenance and do it when it's required then indeed, you can use the softener to remove iron beware though that doing so will increase your salt use which over time begins to add up. Probably never add up to what an iron filter will cost but you will also pick up extra resin life if you are not removing iron too.

smesler78

Reaction score
Ty guys.....I have two bathrooms, 4 sinks in the home including kitchen, 1 small tub, 1 shower with double heads. My next question is what do I do when the ph raises due to the softener?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
LOL, preemptive strike indeed. Sadly, some people will simply never understand that there may be more han one answer to a question.

As to the water softener, it will have little affect on the pH. Your pH should probably be corrected with a simple backwashing calcite system. Your iron is slightly higher than what I would prefer to treat with a softeer, but since your harness is so low, it is not much of a problem as it relates to total salt usage. A simple softener, my preference is the 7000, but the 2510SXT, or the 5600SXT would also be excellent choices.

A standard 1.5 Cu. Ft calcite and 1.5 Cu. Ft. softener should do you just fine. A res-up feedere would also be recommended and adds little cost.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Most residential water treatment equipment does not have a brand name because it is sold by independent online or local dealers using Autotrol and Fleck control valves. IMO Fleck valves is a better design than Autotrol. Many people call the filter or softener by the name of control valve being used... a Fleck softener, but control valve manufacturers do not make or sell filters or softeners or any of their products to the public. They sell to their distributors which sell to dealers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks