I just need a really good shower/hand held.

Users who are viewing this thread

AstralFarmer

Reaction score
I have a very dim memory of someone recommending against having a hand held only and, instead installing a shower head + a hand held with a diverter. Our bathroom is completely gutted except for the 70's harvest gold toilet and our remodel guy told me yesterday he is ready for me to schedule our plumber. I can't do that until I purchase the shower system and I'm paralyzed with indecision!

We had the tub removed and will have a curb less shower. It's just the two of us and I think we want a single, hand held with a long hose. I think the slider bar will be convenient. Would be nice if we could swivel the shower head. We are on well water with great water pressure and don't need a filter. We don't need the full body sprays. A few spray options would be nice but I don't want 'water needles'.

My plumber favors Grohe over other brands. I just want the last hand held we'll ever have to buy. In chrome. With a slider bar. My partner saw the Delta Int2ition advertisement and thought it would be sufficient. I've looked at the spec sheet online and can't find out how long the hose is and I would rather go with something tried and true. I have Grohe picked out for our new sink faucets and have a Hansgrohe kitchen faucet that I really like. Can't justify a buying a Dornbracht although they do look sexy.

If you have a hand held what brand did you decide on and why?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
. I just want the last hand held we'll ever have to buy. ?

Unless you are already too old to stand in a shower without your nurse, I would not condsider a hand held shower to be a lifetime investment. No matter what brand you get, the hose can wear out, the nozzles can become limed up. And algore might make taking a shower illegal!

I have used alsons ( Delta ) and even a GB from HD. Just get one you like the looks of. I personally do not use any of the "massage" features, and feel today's low flow situation takes some 'oomph' out of that. But recently attended a demo trailer w/American Standard. I was pretty impressed with the massage performance of their units.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have a Grohe unit in my tub/shower on a slider, and find it fine. Now, I don't expect it to last forever, but I don't see it degrading after about 7-years now.

Note, Grohe and Hansgrohe are not the same company...

AstralFarmer

Reaction score
Unless you are already too old to stand in a shower without your nurse, I would not condsider a hand held shower to be a lifetime investment. No matter what brand you get, the hose can wear out, the nozzles can become limed up. And algore might make taking a shower illegal!

LOL! jimbo, I took your advise, called our plumber and chose a Grohe that I liked. I totally agree about the massage feature. If I want a massage I will either sit in the hot tub or consult with my partner.:eek: My plumber offered to gather a parts list and email me so I can order everything online.

jadnashua, which faucet do you have?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The tub/shower control I have has been discontinued. I had a layout issue where I went with a surface mounted valve rather than a conventional one.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The ONLY thing you have to buy before the plumber can start if the control valve, unless you also need an "inside the wall" diverter, which does not seem to be the case for your installation. But, since you are buying the materials, I would NOT make a recommendation, but let you buy whatever you liked the appearance of. If I supplied it, and made a profit, I could live with trying to make you happy with the faucet, but if I just recommended it and you were unhappy about something, any time I spent with you on it would cause me to LOSE money.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks