I have a screw loose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Whatnow

Reaction score
Two, actually.

The seat on my 2-year-old Toto Drake is wobbling side to side. I opened the screw covers and attempted to tighten the screws, but they just spin. I don't see any place to hold onto a nut while tightening the screw.

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I wasn't going to say anything but since you brought it up.....

Depending on what kind of seat you have, you would have nut underneath the bowl directly below the screw and you don't even need to use a wrench you can hold with your fingers while tightening the screw.
hinge.JPG

Whatnow

Reaction score
Well, this should leave no doubt that my title wasn't far off. I'm pretty sure the toilets are Ultra Max 1-piece, not Drake. I don't have the paperwork and can't find anything inside the tank to give me a clue. (Screw loose and clueless. Can it get any worse?)

Anyway, there are no visible nuts on the toilet. Just the spinning screws and the dancing seat.

If it makes a difference, it has the soft close seat.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is there a rubber sleeve there? Toto supplies special fasteners with the single piece toilets and soft-close seats. The fitting slides into the hole, you attach the seat, then thread the fastener into it. There's a captive nut in the fitting. As you tighten it, the nut slides up, expanding the fastener, and holding things in place. If you have these...you may just need to press down some while you tighten the screw. It can take a bunch of turns before it starts to tighten up.

Whatnow

Reaction score
Not sure about a rubber sleeve. I don't see one, but your instructions did the trick. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks