i have a lap-top with a loose power plug cable

Users who are viewing this thread

u.s.coins

Reaction score
hello all. i have a power cable that has become very sloppy at the plug in the back of the lap-top. if i would change the power cable would this remedy this problem? it has become worn to the point where it sometimes falls out of the female fitting in the computer back where it is connected. i've had this lap-top for maybe 6 years.

is the female fitting in the computer the trouble or the cable end itself? and if it is the fitting in the computer can this be replaced? it's a dell inspiron 1501. thanks for any advice.

steve

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
hello all. i have a power cable that has become very sloppy at the plug in the back of the lap-top. if i would change the power cable would this remedy this problem? it has become worn to the point where it sometimes falls out of the female fitting in the computer back where it is connected. i've had this lap-top for maybe 6 years.

is the female fitting in the computer the trouble or the cable end itself? and if it is the fitting in the computer can this be replaced? it's a dell inspiron 1501. thanks for any advice. .
steve

Try another power adapator plug that fits your laptop to see if the problem is in the laptop or your adaptor's plug. Most likey, it is the recepticle in the computer. I think if it were the plug, it would be obvious. My Dell laptop is a studio, and has a round plug from the power unit

u.s.coins

Reaction score
Try another power adapator plug that fits your laptop to see if the problem is in the laptop or your adaptor's plug. Most likey, it is the recepticle in the computer. I think if it were the plug, it would be obvious. My Dell laptop is a studio, and has a round plug from the power unit

if the problem turns out to be in the laptop, is that repairable? thanks.

u.s.coins

Reaction score
Have you tried calling Dell's tech support line? They'll be able to tell you that answer and the cost too.

no, i thought i'd see here, first, if anyone else has had this experience. 3Devil.gif

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
I took apart my mom's dell laptop and resoldered the power plug. it is possible. sometimes, especially computers, use multi layer circuit boards and if the power connector took a big hit instead of just the solder joint breaking, it may be a lost cause if it broke the board.

u.s.coins

Reaction score
i'm not sure i am being clear with my problem. it is NOT the cord i am talking about. i am referring to the female fitting at the back of the laptop that the power cord plugs into. i am wondering if that has gotten sloppy over the years, from use and now it's not fitting tight anymore. and if that is the trouble is THAT part repairable? :D

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
i'm not sure i am being clear with my problem. it is NOT the cord i am talking about. i am referring to the female fitting at the back of the laptop that the power cord plugs into. i am wondering if that has gotten sloppy over the years, from use and now it's not fitting tight anymore. and if that is the trouble is THAT part repairable? :D

that is what i was talking about, the female receptacle itself. yes, it mounts to the pc board with solder, and it can come loose over time. your female receptacle can also become worn, and not make contact with the male plug. if that happens, you can try taking a dental pick or something like that and rebending the metal 'tang' that makes contact to the outer metal part of the male jack. not sure what else you could mean if you were not referencing either above, which is with the laptop itself, and not the power cord/jack.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
i'm not sure i am being clear with my problem. it is NOT the cord i am talking about. i am referring to the female fitting at the back of the laptop that the power cord plugs into. i am wondering if that has gotten sloppy over the years, from use and now it's not fitting tight anymore. and if that is the trouble is THAT part repairable?
If you are not very handy, I think the last thing you want to do is open up your laptop. If you were, you probably would have done so by now. Why don't you give Dell tech support a call and see what they can tell you. Anything is repairable if you want to pay for the labor and necessary parts if they are still available. I'm not sure, but they may talk to you for free:D. In any case, they won't bite you on the phone.

u.s.coins

Reaction score
thanks all. i'll call dell or dump it at a shop. maybe i'll pry open the ol' wallet and spring for a new updated laptop. :eek:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
thanks all. i'll call dell or dump it at a shop. maybe i'll pry open the ol' wallet and spring for a new updated laptop. :eek:

At 6 years old, I guess it couldn't hurt to get a new one, except for your wallet. Does it work well enough to be able to copy all your data, etc. from it?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The Connector can be replaced.

It most likely has a switch built into it. You would need to get the correct replacement.

Some times you can bend the Outer Metal contact tab in, so it holds better. But you need to remove the battery before trying, just for safety.

Some connector have a split center pin, that you can spread apart for a tighter fit. (again removing the battery first)

Same goes for the power adapter side. Just unplug the adapter from the wall first.

Unless you can do the work yourself, a new laptop may be cheaper. But it would be a shame to trash a working computer, for such a minor problem.

Good Luck.

Last edited:

u.s.coins

Reaction score
But it would be a shame to trash a working computer, for such a minor problem.

i should have mentioned right out of the gate but didn't. in addition to the loose fitting power cable, the battery doesn't hold a charge longer than a about an hour, that's why i plug and unplug the power so often. please don't hate me. :rolleyes: with this news then i guess i should go shopping for a new unit. :cool:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

i should have mentioned right out of the gate but didn't. in addition to the loose fitting power cable, the battery doesn't hold a charge longer than a about an hour, that's why i plug and unplug the power so often. please don't hate me. :rolleyes: with this news then i guess i should go shopping for a new unit. :cool:
Here's a new Dell Laptop that looks decent for the money; its $699 on sale at Costco (if you are a member):http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...rypageHorizontalTop|PopularProductsInCategory

DonL

Reaction score

I was going to ask about your battery life but I did not.

Battery packs can get expensive, Never buy a used one. They are sold used for a reason.

Normally you can get a much better computer for about half of what that one cost you.

You may want to check out Fry Electronics for a nice computer at a good price.

Http://www.Frys.com

if you are not a Costco member, Frys may beat their price anyway.

Bob, Owns Costco and I own Frys.

...April Fool...

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I was going to ask about your battery life but I did not.

Battery packs can get expensive, Never buy a used one. They are sold used for a reason.

Normally you can get a much better computer for about half of what that one cost you.

You may want to check out Fry Electronics for a nice computer at a good price.

Http://www.Frys.com

if you are not a Costco member, Frys may beat their price anyway.

Bob, Owns Costco and I own Frys.

...April Fool...

But Fry's has no East Coast locations, so you win

DonL

Reaction score
But Fry's has no East Coast locations, so you win

It is all mail order anyway.

Save Gas

I will split the sale with you, and we can give a %50 discount, and still make $5.00

I hope everyone survived April fools day.

Have a great Monday, It is a Government Holiday since the holiday fell on Sunday.

Last edited:

nicho

Reaction score

is the female fitting in the computer the trouble or the cable end itself? and if it is the fitting in the computer can this be replaced? it's a dell inspiron 1501. thanks for any advice.

steve

It has been used for 6 years, small problems maybe are not evitable. You can call Dell Support or ask other technicans for help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks