I have a DWV Design Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Jb9

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a project that I am working in which I have a single wet wall (7" deep) design to simplify things. I am allowed to wet vent groups on each floor (even between two bathrooms I believe). There will be 2 1/2 baths + washer hookup that I tried to show in each of the Wet_Wall jpgs. I added the vertical stack drawing with the overhead sewer design for connection to the municipal system.

I am looking for suggestions on whether I need 4 vertical stacks and how to draw up the connections to each stack. I know toilet goes lowest on the wet vent. I am trying to design it simply and intuitively and in such a way that I can shift a floor joist a bit here or there in DESIGN phase to allow the fixtures to be comfortably laid out (I added 2' to the floor plan and it made ALL the difference in getting the bathrooms to be cozy but not cramped).

I can read isometric sketches somewhat so if anyone has any suggestions on how to manage the groups and stacks, I would be grateful. Lots of knowledgeable folks here.

Thanks.

jb9

Attachments

• Wet_Wall_1.jpg
    Wet_Wall_1.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 143
  • Wet_Wall_2.jpg
    Wet_Wall_2.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 165
  • DWV_Stacks.jpg
    DWV_Stacks.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 143

Jb9

Reaction score
Hello,

I have updated my drawings which hopefully have more detail. I am just looking for some general feedback on the design and to see if I am generally on the right track. Simple and plumb-able.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Layout_1.jpg
    Layout_1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Layout_2.jpg
    Layout_2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 131
  • Layout_Basement.jpg
    Layout_Basement.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 140

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't see how the tub is plumbed. I see a line going to the toilet, but not a line to the tub.

Normally you would run two vents up, one on each side, unless you have room in the wall to go alongside.
And one waste line in the middle. Or as many as you like as long as it's by the book. It can be a very artsy thing as long as rules are followed.

dwv_b1.jpg

Jb9

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I have been using your helpful diagram as a useful reference for how to run a wet vent.

Good catch on the missing P-trap for the tub. I will add that to the stack that connects to the toilet. I think I chose to have one single horizontal branch in the basement to keep things simple (even though it adds more vertical waste lines).

As you can see, it's a timber frame and the single wet wall will not be load-bearing so I am hoping what I have drawn will look clear to the contractor I chose. Other than the missing P-trap for the tub, does it look more or less reasonable and something I could show to a potential contractor (without fear of getting laughed at)?

Thanks for all the helpful content you post here at the DIY forum.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's looking pretty good. I've never had a homeowner provide a layout for me. Sometimes the architects try, but I don't know anyone that uses what they draw. We talk to plumbing inspectors and they don't.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Give the plumber your diagram and he will roll it up and put it in his pocket, THEN install it the way he wants to do it. Even architects/engineers only draw the systems to get the permit, NOT to have it installed that way.

Jb9

Reaction score
I have incorporated the feedback to include a toilet vent and cluster the stacks a bit. Hopefully this makes sense. I understand what you are saying hj as well. Since I am building a Timber Frame, I can't have anyone drilling holes in the floor joists so I am doing this work up front to make sure that I understand the constraints and come up with the most intuitive design in the most generous service cavity.

Attachments

• Toilet_Tub7.jpg
    Toilet_Tub7.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 122
  • Toilet_Tub8.jpg
    Toilet_Tub8.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 122
  • ByPass_Vent.jpg
    ByPass_Vent.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 109
  • DWV_1.jpg
    DWV_1.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 114

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Great work. Truly well thought out, bringing to bear an enormous amount of smarts, skill and know-how, to work out all the plumbing issues in advance. Not easy to do.
You may actually rob the real plumber of any sense of accomplishment in the work since he probably has more smarts, greater skill, and much more know-how than you. All the details are worked out on site by someone who has the experience to do so.
No offense intended. The plan looks good, but when it comes time to start drilling holes and routing pipes, there can be hurdles that no one can foresee.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
I need to rewrite that last post, if time allows. Maybe tomorrow.

Ok, I'm back. Now that I think about it, there's been many a time I've wished someone else could have figured it all out for me and just let me drill the holes and run the pipe. That never happened, but I learned a lot.
You're on track to getting the job done right. Go for it.

Last edited:

Jb9

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement fullysprinklered. I appreciate it. One of the things that is motivating me is that I want to understand the system so I can maintain it well. I have read so much helpful stuff here from all you pros here! I can only imagine how hard it is to go into remodels or clean-up jobs when something wasn't well-considered from the start. I think my goal is to be one of those new construction jobs that goes as smooth as possible (I know that there will always be bumps along the way). Again, thanks for the encouragement and I will definitely be deferring to the plumber and inspector's guidance!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks