I hate shower diverter "valves"

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Fubar411, May 21, 2010.

1. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

When taking a shower, I really, really hate the gate valve thing that stops most of the water at the tub spout and forces it up to the shower head (forgive me if I don't have all the terms correct)

Why did we ever get away from having a third handle - aside from the non-anti scald benefits? Why aren't there more mixing valves that have a built-in diverter? And finally, do Delta/Moen/Kohler all make 3-way mixing valves so calcium deposits don't build up in my tub spout and make me replace it when water inevitably ends up spraying out of the "valve"?

Thanks,
    Rob
  2. Doherty Plumbing

Doherty Plumbing Journeyman & Gas Fitter

Maybe you should 1st start with a water softener :D
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

► The antiscald requirement drove out the traditional 3 handle shower.
    ► $$$$$$$$$$$. It is ALWAYS all about the money. It is a lot easier for a manufacturer to make a valve body with no diverter, and just put a diverter spout in the box to make it a shower.
    Symmons for one still makes a single handle pressure balanced valve with diverter lever.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Your problem is that you buy "cheap" diverters. Buy a Delta "pull down" diverter spout, and you will eliminate that problem.
  5. Fubar411

Fubar411 New Member

I have been impressed by the quality of Delta, I will definitely check it out.