I got out the car

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
After bragging that I had not been pulled over by the Police for almost twenty years (four here in the US), I got pulled last night for a faulty "tail light" (brake light).

This turned out to be quite strange because I had checked my tail lights moments earlier (I check them each time I fill up with gas) and, indeed, they turned out to be working just fine when I checked them again when I got home.

Anyway, I remembered our chat and decided to risk getting out the car (to look at the tail light).

It was quite funny because the cop's buddy jumps out when he sees me. He then asked me to get back in the car, because of danger from oncoming traffic. I did as he asked. Nevertheless I have some pride in giving the chap some exercise.

So, today I have to go to a police station to show another cop that my tail light that was never broken is in fact fixed. I'm playing the game because it seems to be the easiest thing to do (there is no fine with this). Although my neighbor says I should write a letter to complain.

Weird country eh?

Let's reclaim the streets. Next time you get pulled, get outta the car!

It's what we English call "freedom".

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
No, my friend it is what is called, stupid. Don't get out of the car Ian.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
But I did get out of the car to have a look at the light!

Cookie

Reaction score
Don't get out of the car until they tell you to. Ian, they are not playing a game. They will hurt you. They could care less if you got hit by a mac truck going by, they are looking out for them not you.

Last edited:

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
He did not tell me not to get out of the car, and it was being videoed.

Cookie

Reaction score
He didn't need to, it is common knowledge not to get out of the car. I don't want to see an Englishman friend bleeding on utube.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Problem is they may be looking for a bad guy in a car that matches your car
Happened to me, a car was stolen that looked like mine
Not a good thing when 2 officers have their hands on their guns & don't look happy
I kept my hand son the steering wheel
Once they checked my plate & info it was fine

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Well, I just got the repair order signed off. So I guess this matter is over now.

I doubt they were looking for a bad guy in a car like mine.

I mean, how many bad guys drive black SUVs? They all drive red Ford 150s.

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Actually I was driving a Redish 1966 Ford Mustang at the time :p
After that I made sure my Mustang would never be mixed up with another car
(dirt/discoloration is on the scanned pic)

RebelFlag.jpg

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
I used to drive a cab, and an extremely drunk and angry passenger who thought I was cheating him once asked me to call the police. I was extremely happy to do so since that man sitting directly behind me was bigger than me and telling me what he was going to do with my head after ripping it from my shoulders. When he saw the squad car pull up after about another five minutes of his screaming at me, he immediately got out of the car and the officers immediately told him to get back inside.

So much for "To Serve and To Protect", eh?! Both of those guys had guns and I had none.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Ian...your numbers in the vote are soaring...don't risk it all getting out of the car...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
This is not the freedom you guys fought for.

We should never have left.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My first ticket, I was so nervous, I just handed the policeman my entire wallet.
He got real mad and said I wasn't doing it right.
They don't really tell you how to get your first ticket.

Hey dad, tell he what to do when I get my first ticket.

Yeah right.
All he ever said was,

"Don't get a ticket and embarrass me."

I guess I didn't have that part figured out real well.
I think I got three tickets in six weeks.

One ticket, the cop followed me for one mile, and waited until I was in front of my fathers house, to pull me over.
They knew where he lived, he was the judge.

So Ian, never hand the cop your wallet.
They will think you are trying to bribe them.
Even if you are sixteen, and there isn't any money in the wallet.
They're funny that way.

Also, remember to turn off the radio.

Last edited:

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
They knew where he lived, he was the judge.

And you didn't follow in your father's footsteps? (rhetorical obviously).
I could see the double edged sword with your father being the judge.

I've had my license suspended three times due to failure to pay tickets. Used to get pulled over and searched almost every weekend. That was a long time ago - I can't remember the last speeding ticket I got. I didn't slow down, just got smarter, I hit triple digits in my sister's Solara on Sunday.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
And you didn't follow in your father's footsteps? (rhetorical obviously).

Way too many years of school.
I liked doing things with my hands and designing things.

I stopped getting tickets when I moved out of town,
They didn't know who I was anymore.
I finally got a "warning" instead of a ticket.

I was finally like any other guy they pulled over!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ian, it is very common knowledge that when stopped by the police, you remain in the car, do not reach for anything in the glove compartment, and you keep your hands on the steer wheel in plain view. You know you're a good guy and have not bad intentions, but the police have no way to know that. I would point out that although these examples are not as a result of a traffic stop, there are crazy animals in this world. About 3 weeks ago, a Seattle police officer was executed in his police car. Less than 2 weeks ago, a North Las Vegas police officer, whom I knew as a youth, was killed by gang bangers, and just today, 4 Lakewood (Tacoma, WA) police officers were executed. I can tell you, things like this make police officers more than a little edgy. A person getting out of his car during a traffic stop risks a 50K volt taser at best, and at worst a 9mm bullet. You do not give the officer you wallet because there are those who would later accuse him of stealing that $100 bill. Remove the license from the wallet and hand it to him. When he asks for you proof of insurance, then open the glove compartment. If he asks you to step out of the vehicle, then do so, but never reach into your pockets. Remember, the officer does not know who you are or what you may be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks