I got lead and it cracked a bit.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Adrian Luna, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Adrian Luna

Adrian Luna New Member

Hi.

I was replacing my Rialto toilet for something better.

(MS854114S#13)

Problem is i have a Lead / Brass flange.

And part of the lead is missing.

The last guy who installed the last toilet simply put a normal wax ring and installed the toilet ontop.

Is there any easy repair? Do i need to get a plumber involved.

I cleaned out the flange and lightly hammard the lead until the flange was tight. I thing filled the as much as i could with wax.
    I also installed the toilet a little to the right to be a little bit further away using a XL Wax ring.

I have the toilet installed with a sign saying "Not sure if safe". If i have to pull it off and get it done right i will.

Thank you

20140625_222648.jpg 20140625_224118.jpg 20140625_232825.jpg

2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Plumber
    It's a bit sketchy, but may work.
    Is this over a crawl space? Or on a second floor?

We sometimes, if they are not sealing, will go to the trouble of removing the lead bend and replacing it. Not a simple job. There are many, many lead bends out there still in use. Every so often, one gets replaced.

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Adrian Luna

Adrian Luna New Member

This is on a Second floor.
    I figured if i wanted to replace this id have to tear apart the bathroom down stairs to do it.
    I think its working a few people have used the toilet and its been fine

5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Plumber
    If the lead reaches the copper flange, it might be able to be soldered to it using a big soldering iron, NOT a torch.