I got lead and it cracked a bit.

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Adrian Luna, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Adrian Luna

Adrian Luna New Member

Hi.

I was replacing my Rialto toilet for something better.

(MS854114S#13)

Problem is i have a Lead / Brass flange.

And part of the lead is missing.

The last guy who installed the last toilet simply put a normal wax ring and installed the toilet ontop.

Is there any easy repair? Do i need to get a plumber involved.

I cleaned out the flange and lightly hammard the lead until the flange was tight. I thing filled the as much as i could with wax.
    I also installed the toilet a little to the right to be a little bit further away using a XL Wax ring.

I have the toilet installed with a sign saying "Not sure if safe". If i have to pull it off and get it done right i will.

Thank you

20140625_222648.jpg 20140625_224118.jpg 20140625_232825.jpg
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

It's a bit sketchy, but may work.
    Is this over a crawl space? Or on a second floor?

We sometimes, if they are not sealing, will go to the trouble of removing the lead bend and replacing it. Not a simple job. There are many, many lead bends out there still in use. Every so often, one gets replaced.
  3. Adrian Luna

Adrian Luna New Member

This is on a Second floor.
    I figured if i wanted to replace this id have to tear apart the bathroom down stairs to do it.
    I think its working a few people have used the toilet and its been fine
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If the lead reaches the copper flange, it might be able to be soldered to it using a big soldering iron, NOT a torch.