I get a continuous flow of water from the backwash drain pipe (Culligan Medallist)

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by toddomel, Oct 12, 2010.

1. toddomel

toddomel New Member

My Culligan water softener all of a sudden has continuous flow of water going through the drain pipe. Not sure what is causing this problem. I noticed this once my water bill doubled from the month previous...any ideas?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You may get more 'hits' if you post in the softener section. It sounds like the control valve is stuck. Could be the motor has died, a gear broke, or something similar. Now, why that happened may be because the valve is stuck, which jammed things up. Have you tried to force a regen and watched to see if things work?

You probably want to put this in bypass until you resolve it, or your water bill might be even more nasty next time.