I finally understand Thanksgiving in America..

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
I finally get why you guys dig this holiday so much.

With Christmas and Halloween being so commercialized here, it's quite nice to have a holiday where you just sit back and relax with the family.

I get it.

I'm going to see Fantastic Mr Fox tomorrow morning and then we'll have a roast dinner.

A few of the characters in that film remind me of regular posters on this forum.

Cookie is Mrs Fox, for example.....

After that, or perhaps on Friday, I'm going to carry on with some remodeling.

Plumbing and electrical isn't a real job. It's something you fit in on the Holidays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I will be having my kids and grandkids over on Thanksgiving.
Also my 92 YO mother.

It should be a nice day here.
Maybe at some point I will pull out the Warren Miller movies and get the grandkids inspired about skiing.
I'll be needing ski partners when I get older.
Though I do belong to a ski club now.

Last edited:

Scuba_Dave

Extreme DIY Homeowner
Reaction score
Website
holidaves.com
Feast
Wife, son, MIL & her 97 year old mother

article-0-0303BF920000044D-188_468x286.jpg

Frenchie

Jack of all trades
Reaction score
I finally get why you guys dig this holiday so much.

With Christmas and Halloween being so commercialized here, it's quite nice to have a holiday where you just sit back and relax with the family.

I get it.

I'm going to see Fantastic Mr Fox tomorrow morning and then we'll have a roast dinner.

A few of the characters in that film remind me of regular posters on this forum.

Cookie is Mrs Fox, for example.....

After that, or perhaps on Friday, I'm going to carry on with some remodeling.

Plumbing and electrical isn't a real job. It's something you fit in on the Holidays.

I hadn't connected it to the commercialization, but I remember when I figured it out, Thanksgiving in the USA, is liek Christmas in French Canada: the day you get totally stuffed on turkey, with your family, and hang out... (in Canada, Thanksgiving is earlier in the year, and is treated as a pretty minor holiday).

...Sort of off-topic, but it wasn't that long ago - the holiday that still weirds me out after ten years, is Armistice Day. I can't get used to calling it Veterans day. I can't get used to how few poppies I see people wearing. I keep looking for the large, somber parade in every town/city, on every TV station... not there. And it still bothers me, how radio stations don't go quiet for a minute at 11 am that day.

The whole thing feels... sacrilegious.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
I'll be doing the typical driving around. First to my mother's for Thanksgiving lunch and then down to Naples till the evening with the wife's family. Should be a fun day, Belle's only nap will be in the truck down to Naples and the wife and I will be fighting in the morning. (We always get into stupid fights on days we have to do family events, she stresses and gets pissed that I almost never stress about stuff - but they are minor and we will have a good time despite it.)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
she stresses and gets pissed that I almost never stress about stuff - but they are minor and we will have a good time despite it.)

That one makes me laugh,
That was my situation ten years ago.

I came from a big family, and I was just looking forward to seeing brothers and sisters, and their kids.
I'm not real handy with a skillet anyway.

Now I'm dating someone whose tradition started before she met me.
She spends two days with her kids at her place, and I will spend time my my kids, at my place.
So, it's a pretty relaxing evening at home alone tonight.
I will see mine on Thursday.
But I just finished my round of Radiation today, and took the last chemo tablets tonight, so I'm looking forward to catching up on things real quick.

But no little fights anymore about how it should look before we finally get somewhere.
I'm a guy,
I get there, and I'm happy.
I'm either a father, a grandfather or an uncle.
Oh yeah, I'm still a son.
It's all good.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Ian...I hope you have a wonderful day relaxing....since you said

"I finally get why you guys dig this holiday so much."

I am curious how long "finally" was...

Fill your self with Turkey and all kinds of stuff today and when the tryptophan in the turkey hits you...push your self back in a nice lazy boy chair and snooze a little....

I hope every one Enjoys the day...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
It's been four years to really get to grips with it Cass.

Strange really, since I believe this harvest festival originates from the English at Virginia Colony, which is just down the road from here.

We'll say thanks for you this year, in the same breath we thank the new Heathcare Bill.

Now someone give me an amen!

Last year I almost got Thanksgiving mixed up with Independence Day. The neighbors laughed.

PS The dinner is still in the oven. Should be ready in an hour or two. I am hungry.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks