I don't understand eating in America

Users who are viewing this thread

Basement_Lurker

One who lurks
Reaction score
It doesn't matter which hand holds the fork.
Half the time I eat with my left, and half with right. I don't even think about it.
I can also do left handed lay-ins all day long until they force me right, which is fine with me.
When I plumb, I normally use both hands at the same time, but doing different things.
When play guitar, I use both hands,
I also bat both left and right.
What's your point anyway?

.... and still further evidence that Terry is actually a plumbing robot. The conspiracy grows.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
To meet Mexicans.

It's called, "getting out and about".

The only place you might wish to stay in your car is Ireland.

Or places where the Irish moved to. Like potato farms.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
I might be too lazy to go check or sometimes, the posts are just too boring, but you I think, never answered how you eat soup with a fork?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
OK, OK. I use a soup spoon. But there is etiquette in using this too, which also has been missed on Americans.

Because your mummy and daddy didn't teach you. Which means etiquette was forgotten on the Mayflower, although I happen to believe that it never boarded.

PS I know you always check these posts Cookie.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cookie

Reaction score
lol. Sometimes, I do. Not always. I usually always check the posts about fixing something I know little about, which is alot, lol. Because I am studying to become certified to home inspecting houses. Now, I am a licensed RE agent so, it can go hand-in-hand. I am also, a licensed appraiser. Houses I know about. Plus, I am on the computer when I am not doing either of those 2 because I write 2 columns in magazines, and numerous other things, so, inbetween thoughts, I read here on the funny threads for some R & R. I laugh at alot of yours. :)

Question: How do you eat a Snicker's Bar?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Deep fried.

You should try the nachi forum for home inspectors. There are always some interesting posts there.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
To meet Mexicans.

It's called, "getting out and about".

It's not exactly fine cuisine...
Although the Gringo Corporation Chain Restaurants might pass a health department inspection...

The only place you might wish to stay in your car is Ireland.

Or places where the Irish moved to. Like potato farms.

I could understand them wanting to bloody your nose...
Like so much of the world already has...
How many colonies have you been kicked out of now Ian?

Cookie

Reaction score
Actually, well acquainted with Nachi.

Now, I want a deep fried Snickers bar for breakfast to go with my bag of M&M's, topped with a big coffee. I will drink my coffee with my right hand.

Do you use a knive & fork with that Snickers bar?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
How many colonies have you been kicked out of now Ian?

Personally, none. Although I have lived in two, including the United States, and both treated me well and rightly recognized me as their old master.

It's all "Yes Sir" and "No Sir" at immigration and a nice long-term working visa to boot. No problem. But then I wouldn't expect one. I'm just coming home to survey the land and see how you guys have been keeping the place.

The answer to that, of course, is not very well. Bridges falling down. Gas pipes exploding. etc. etc.

Do you use a knive & fork with that Snickers bar?

If in the company of others, absolutely! That's just good manners.

Cookie

Reaction score
Now, for dinner tonite I made my own dish of sauteed ( in crackling garlic oil) onions, green peppers, hot peppers, squash, red spuds, cut up tomato, fresh basil, fresh oregano... over a bed of rice... question, how would you eat this?

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
With a knife and fork at a properly set table. Use the knife to squidge the meal onto the fork.

Cookie

Reaction score
No, you would eat this very quickly because it is oh, so good... and, then want more.

or... you could take your time and let each mouthful taste great.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
We eat that with our hands........in the dark at the cinema.

I ate another buritto the other day with a knife and fork. The other American diners around me must have thought it was a magic trick, using a knife and fork at the same time.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Looks like detention hall in my catholic high school, with the sprinkler heads or tear gas dispensers lowered to head height.

I would stick to the pseudo english pubs to relax. Greasy old wood and brass.

Good on you to adopt one American abberation of popcorn groveling.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Actually it was one of these. And it was full of Americans using their fingers.
chipolte2.jpg

Is that a school cafeteria?

That would explain a soggy slimy burrito that you couldn't pick up....

Now when I think about fine dinning i usually associate it with a place that looks like this....

51ff340f.jpg

or, this...

559c6251.jpg

Definitely not a school cafeteria eating soggy burritos...
Those are something you grab for a quick belly filler at a fast food joint...

Fine dinning usually entails enjoying things like...
Paupiette of Sole stuffed with Maine crabmeat and fresh herbs with a light mustard cream...
Roast Sirloin with braised onions and sweet wine demi-glace
Ginger Crusted Salmon Fillet with baby shrimp and lemongrass sauce soy caramel
Orecciette Pasta tossed with grilled shrimp, fire-roasted peppers, mushrooms and garlic cream

A bunch of overcooked reheated beans in a flour tortilla just doesn't make the grade....

By the way in 1814 some of your fellow countrymen saw fit to use the place in the 2nd photo as their headquarters until they were sent packing by a bunch of farmers...
Hard to imagine a well trained army allowing that to happen but it did....

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Yes, yes Redwood very nice. And I do enjoy eating at places like that too.

The only difference being I use all the cutlery when I do because my mummy and daddy taught me how to (we didn't live on a farm). Unlike you and your American cohort who use your fingers or, if it's a really classy night out, a fork.

And we let the farmers have it Redwood. They were fellow Englishmen after all. Wish we hadn't now I'm back and seen what mess you've left the place in, but we can't change history....only the future.

Now, which bridge shall I fix next?

And those power lines are going under.

That American Standard toilet can stay though. At least they got one thing right!

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yep...
I can tell the manners your parents instill in you Britt's...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks