I Discovered A Great Way To Go Through Concrete Walls (Air Chisel)

Discussion in 'Remodel Forum & Blog' started by driz, Nov 26, 2009.

1. driz

driz New Member

I needed to make a 6" hole through a poured concrete foundation in my basement. I got a nice new makita hammer drill masonary bit for my drill and found out how ugly it could be. Forget that. A real masonary drill costs too much and I didn't want to rent one so I thought what about my hand held air chisel. It is a cheap HF job I used a few times for cutting panels or drum tops off . Thats about all I thought it was good for. Then I tried it on the 15 year old cement. Wow does it cut. Of course it is still a 6 pack job and one hell of a mess but its a lot easier to use than a drill. Strangely it doesn't even dull the Chinese cheapo tips at all. What's best is that there is no need to lean hard on the gun and it doesn't take a monster air compressor either. Just put a little pressure on it and let the spring do the work. I bet I paid a whole $15 for the thing. Incredible. The only thing I wish I had was a longer set of Ajax chisels.
  2. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

Or you can get a core driller out there.
    They use diamond tipped drills, and they do a clean core without any dust.

They keep the dust down with water, which also cools the bit.

It will slice right through rebar.
  3. driz

driz New Member

Ah Yes But The Price $$$$$$

Ah yes very true Terry, but as always its that on little thing, $$$$$$$$:mad::mad:. For you pros it is a gotta have item but for us once every 5 year slobs, well ya know.........
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

chisel

The problem with ANY chisel, and I have used my air chisel a couple of times but it is usually too "light" for major drilling, is that the deeper you go the narrower the hole gets.
  5. export!

export! DIY Member

Ahh.... so true with so many things in life.
  6. Scuba_Dave

Scuba_Dave Extreme DIY Homeowner

I used a combination of a sledgehammer, cement drill bits/hammer drill & air chisel to get a 3-4" hole thru for drainage
    It was from a crawl space under my sunroom out to my drainage pipe
  7. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

When I was doing new construction in my 20's, and I needed a hole big enough for a 3" waste line through the 8" foundations, I would only use a sledgehammer.
    Five blows with a sledge before the back side would pop out.
    And then a few more to make it large enough for the pipe.
    These were fairly green walls.

If the walls have cured, then I like coring them.