i cant get part of my shower diverter stem out

Discussion in 'Shower & Bathtub Forum & Blog' started by alsmith, Sep 2, 2009.

1. alsmith

alsmith New Member

I have a house that was built in 1962. It still has the original american standard faucet (I believe the make is colonial). I have taken most of the stem out but the part before the plastic washer is stuck. Is it attached?? I have been working on this off and on for 2 weeks.
  2. jerryez

jerryez New Member

A good hardwarer store stocks a small metal hook for $3 to $4. Just tell him the problem and he wil hook you up. Ha! Ha! You can insert the hook into the stem hole and snag and pull out the stuck parts.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

diverter

I have had to fabricate a "hook" to grab inside the diverter, and then "pound" it out.
  4. alsmith

alsmith New Member

shower diverter

I tried the hook. It does not help. I swear this thing is attached to the pipe. Is that possible. I got out the plastic piece that is behind it and the washers but that last brass end will not come out.