I bought the wrong shower valve. Will this work?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by mghof, Aug 17, 2005.

1. mghof

mghof New Member

Ok here’s the problem. I’m doing a bathroom remodel and I’m in the midst of a custom shower installation. My main shower valve is a Kohler K-304 which feeds a transfer valve. The transfer valve feeds the shower head and 4 body sprays. After designing this and getting halfway through installation, I had a bad feeling about the flow rate of the valve. After checking with Kohler, they tell me my valve is rated at 2.5 gpm on the shower outlet and 6 gpm on the tub filler outlet. Now, the shower head is rated at 2.5 alone and each body spray is rated at 1.5 (6 gpm total). My math is telling me that there’s no way this is going to work correctly. One solution I had in mind would be to cap the shower outlet and use the tub filler outlet to feed the transfer valve. Any thoughts on doing this? I know it still doesn’t supply the required 8.5gpm but 6 is certainly better than 2.5.

Matt
  2. plumguy

plumguy New Member

I don't think I have ever seen body sprays on a tub/shower usually they are installed on a shower stall only. I guess it might work...so if you want to fill you're tub it would be done with the shower head and body sprays.
  3. mghof

mghof New Member

I'm sorry I wasn't clear on that. This is for a shower only. There is no tub. I would have capped the tub filler port anyway.

Matt
  4. sulconst2

sulconst2 New Member

have a shower head and a hand held on a 306-ks valve and a 2 way transfer valve. capped the shower outlet and installed from tub outlet. looped up and in to the transfer then split to head and handheld. on page 2 of 304-k directions it says to cap shower outlet if installing handheld, diverter, etc.