I am Moving my Meter Base and Need Some Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

RogerPDX

Reaction score
I live in Washington State and need a little advice on moving my meter base, wire sizing, etc - for a 200 amp service. My meter base is on my house and I want to move it over to the carport, mast and all.

It's about 36' from my breaker panel, through the wall, and over to the new location.
The new mast will be about 10' from weather head to the meter base.

1.) Do I need to use 2 pcs 4-0 wire & 1 pc of 3-0 wire for these two runs, or is it legal to use 2 pcs of 3-0 wire & 1 pc of 2-0 wire?

2.) I will have 3 LB's and 3 sweeping 90º curves in this run. I'm not too concerned about the 90º curves, but getting that wire (especially 4-0) through those LB's is concerning me. Can this be accomplished?

3.) I want to use Schedule 40 PVC not metal.

Any advise & tricks of the trade are appreciated!

Last edited:

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
How much of it will be inside and how much outside?

Aluminum would be 4/0-4/0-2/0
Copper would be 2/0-2/0-1/0

RogerPDX

Reaction score
How much of it will be inside and how much outside?

Aluminum would be 4/0-4/0-2/0
Copper would be 2/0-2/0-1/0

It's about 36' from the new meter base location to the existing hole in my outside wall (that goes through the wall & into the breaker box ). From that hole it is about 1' through that hole, through the wall and into the breaker box.

BTW... I would have thought that copper would be 3/0, 3/0, 2/0. No?

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
2012-05-05_020309_residential_table.jpg

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
Regardless of what we advise, the utility AND/OR the building department would determine the wires sizes before they allow the new meter location.
Well technically the building dept does not determine the wire size or any other codes. They simply enforce the codes in place in their area.

As far as the utility goes, some will have something to do with the entrance ahead of the meter, but after the meter pan they have no jurisdiction at all.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
but they will NOT set the meter until the building department inspects and passes the meter socket installation. And, before they do that they will verify that YOUR WIRES, correspond to the requirements of the code in their area, which is the same as "determining the required sizes".

Speedy Petey

Reaction score
but they will NOT set the meter until the building department inspects and passes the meter socket installation. And, before they do that they will verify that YOUR WIRES, correspond to the requirements of the code in their area, which is the same as "determining the required sizes".
Oh, well then., You are 100% correct, as usual. My sincerest apologies for attempting to correct a rather erroneous statement. I shall try and do better in the future.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks