Hydrotech 765 control valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

MaplesonD

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know this is a DIY forum, but I have decided to have a pro do my water softener installation. I have been putting it off for a while and just need to get it done. The guy was a recommendation from one of the members here. I keep reading about how good Fleck valves are, specifically the 7000sxt, but this installer said he likes to use Hydrotech 765 control valves because he is very familiar with them. Is this valve comparable in quality/reliability/specs to the Fleck 7000sxt? Thanks,
Dave

MaplesonD

Reaction score
Ok, so when I talked to the guy about the valve, he acknowledged that he used to use Fleck valves, but has switched recently to these hydrotech valves. He says he likes them because they are mechanical and digital and he can easily change any part of it to adjust them. He said he would install a Fleck, but said he would go with the 5800lxt. I've read a few other threads on here that seem to indicate a 5800lxt would be adequate.

The other thing is that I was going to ask for standard resin. He says he only ever uses fine mesh resin because it is more efficient and better at removing iron. My concern is that it could negatively effect flow through the softener, and according to my water test, I don't have a problem with iron. My water test showed <0.01 mg/L. What is the difference between Ferrous and Ferric Iron? Is there another form of iron that maybe wasn't on the test that I would need the fine mesh resin for? The quote is not specific as to the cost of the resin, so if I changed to standard resin from fine mesh, the price of install wouldn't change.

I'm sure I'm annoying the guy to death with my questions, I'm like the patient who read something on WebMD and is telling the doctor how to practice. I guess I'm naturally cynical when I know someone would like to sell me something that I didn't intend to get from the start (even though they may be totally right).

Bannerman

Reaction score
While I'm sure the 5800LXT is a great valve, you may wish to compare the price of that system versus one with the Fleck 7000SXT. The 7000SXT has high flow capacity and as it has become increasingly popular, the price is now often comparable to a 5600SXT. The SXT is the digital controller which is very programmable to satisfy special conditions.

Here is a 2012 review of the 5800LXT as provided by Dittohead: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/fleck-pentair-5800lxt-first-review.47630/

Ferrous iron (clear water iron) is the iron commonly in water that is initially clear but will leave reddish deposits after exposure to oxygen. Ferrous is the type of iron which a softener can remove/reduce.

Oxidation, will convert Ferrous iron to Ferric iron which is a solid iron form which precipitates out as rust particles. The solid particles maybe easily removed through filtration. While some ferric particles trapped in softener resin will be flushed from a softener during the backwash cycle, softener resin is not a great filter media so with problematic water, other forms of filtration are normally utilized prior to the softener.

An iron reduction filter will typically oxidize ferrous iron, converting it to ferric which is then filtered-out in the same unit, prior to the softener. At less than 0.01 ppm, your water's iron content does not justify a separate iron removal filter unless your water also has a rotten egg/sulfur odor. As a softener is ineffective for Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S), that would require a separate filter which would also be effective for iron removal.

You are correct that fine mesh resin can impede flow through the softener. For that reason, fine mesh is not often recommended, even with much higher iron levels than are contained in your water.

D Sal

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I know this is a DIY forum, but I have decided to have a pro do my water softener installation. I have been putting it off for a while and just need to get it done. The guy was a recommendation from one of the members here. I keep reading about how good Fleck valves are, specifically the 7000sxt, but this installer said he likes to use Hydrotech 765 control valves because he is very familiar with them. Is this valve comparable in quality/reliability/specs to the Fleck 7000sxt? Thanks,
Dave

D Sal

Reaction score
I am interested in what you found out about Hydrotech 765 because I was also provided this option by two companies in my local area vs the Fleck. My confusion is that I was told the Hydrotech has a 7 year warranty but the Fleck has a 5 year however everything I read was that Fleck had a 10 year and the Hydrotech had a 5 year, does anyone know what is correct?

In addition I cannot find any reviews on the Hydrotech so hoping someone can share their opinions.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks